Cooling tubes on top of GE mini fridge with Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmmbeer

Reaction score
Not new to brewing but new to this brew forum, so far, love the site!

Here's my question, I've heard all about the Corn starch/alcohol trick to find the cooling tubes on top of a mini fridge. I have a GE mini fridge with the freezer on top that I bent the tube and relocated the freezer (worried but done without a hitch). I took the top off the fridge to do the Corn Starch trick but it was like a molded foam top... I scratched my head and figured the cooling tubes are in the back beind the cage. I looked up diagrams and it looks like I'm safe.

Heres the model number that I used in Google search: GE TAX4DNYBWH

Anyone have a second thought? I'm so close to having that amazing Kegerator but yet that far away! Just the thought of no bottling makes me smile!

my GE fridge had a diagram on the back of it (a sticker) showing the location of the lines. I never noticed it at first, but there it is.

Mine has a single line across the top, near the door. the rest of the top surface was open territory.

mine had a sticker on it as well, line going across the front of the top but the rest is available for drilling! (like the front 1 inch)

I am pretty sure that the GE ones with freezer do not have any other lines on top whatsoever.

I have a question for you tho: I am going to bend my freezer down as well to fit in the kegs, how did you do this? any tips? I dont want to break that metal tube and junk my fridge :(

I have a question for you tho: I am going to bend my freezer down as well to fit in the kegs, how did you do this? any tips? I dont want to break that metal tube and junk my fridge :(

No tips from me. I lagged on converting mine to a kegerator because I was afraid I would ruin it.

I just drank a couple pints (to build courage, I guess) and bent it down... slowly, but steadily...

how thick was your freon line? my seems pretty solid, i just dont know how im going to prevent it from kinking

mine looks almost exactly the same, guess ill just go for it tonight! may try a hair dryer on it for a while to get it a little more limber :)

mine looks almost exactly the same, guess ill just go for it tonight! may try a hair dryer on it for a while to get it a little more limber :)

Do whatever makes you feel better. LOL.

Mine literally sat in my garage for almost a year before I decided to just attack it. It was free (retired mother-in-law gave it to me) and I finally just decided that since I wasn't even using it for anything, breaking it and having to throw it away wasn't really going to cost me anything.

how thick was your freon line? my seems pretty solid, i just dont know how im going to prevent it from kinking
The line pictured is a line within a line, so don't overdue it.
The cabillary tube is inside the gas line.

Here is a high tech tool I used.
Fridge_Convertion_112.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

yeah that is what i was planning on, going to try to make a nice arc to limit any sharp angles and use the entire length like you have done here

To be honest, I just went for it while the fridge was still cold and did it in one motion. Sometimes I think people over think things. However, I do like the idea of using something solid in the direction your bending it to help keep it from kinking and gives it something to roll onto.

Not new to brewing but new to this brew forum, so far, love the site!

Here's my question, I've heard all about the Corn starch/alcohol trick to find the cooling tubes on top of a mini fridge. I have a GE mini fridge with the freezer on top that I bent the tube and relocated the freezer (worried but done without a hitch). I took the top off the fridge to do the Corn Starch trick but it was like a molded foam top... I scratched my head and figured the cooling tubes are in the back beind the cage. I looked up diagrams and it looks like I'm safe.

I don't think my fridge is the exact same model but I do believe it was a GE. Check out the link below to see how the condenser lines were ran in my fridge. Keep scrolling and you will see a picture of the schematic that came with the fridge describing how the condenser lines were ran.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/yet-another-fermentation-box-build-190922/

Back