Cooling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucepepper

Reaction score
I just spoke to someone who said that after they boil the wort they put the lid on and let it sit overnight. They then pitch the yeast in the morning after the wort is at room temperature. I am wondering if anyone else has done this and if so, has it worked? It seems reasonable to me that if I put the lid on after it has boiled for an hour, it should stay bacteria free overnight. I have a small baby and so if I could be finished making beer in under a couple of hours and just pitch in the morning it would be a bit more convenient. Any advice?

You sure could do that..course you open the window of time where you are susceptible to infection. There are some pretty effective methods of chilling down your wort quickly (equipment not required depending on your boil volume) that can get you to pitching temp very quick.

i could of sworn that I read it is best to get the temp down ASAP after boil.

Well I'd say it's BETTER to chill faster but I wouldn't say it's mission critical. You'll certainly precipitate out more chill causing proteins (cold break) in chilling faster. The other issue in covering hot wort is trapping DMS that is trying to escape. The beer will suffer a bit but it will be drinkable.

There's nothing wrong with setting the pot in a sink full of icewater and coming back to it in an hour and I think it would beat the overnight method.

If it works for your schedule do it. I've done it, Professsional brewers do it. Be aware of the compromises and minimize the risk. Make sure to cover your wort well, I would seal the edge of the lid and rim of the kettle with aluminum foil at flame out. Be ready to pitch a good, healthy slug of yeast in the am and be ready to condition longer or add finings to clarify your beer if needed.

Thanks everyone for the advice. You always come through for me. Hopefully I'll be able to chill my wort most of the time, but I may try the overnight cooling once just to see how it turns out.

You guys can/could actually sleep with your precious wort sitting there sweet and unprotected. Seems like you are skipping a simple step and inviting bacteria.

Nope, not me. I may work, but IMO why risk it?

Back