Cooling multiple fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virtus

Reaction score
Hello,

I have question about cooling multiple fermenters with glycool chiller. Is it possible to stress yeast with low glycol temp ( 40F ) and fermentor set to fermentation temp? ( 65F ). All fermentors have magnetic valve with temp control

I am now in situation where i must cold crash lager to 35F and in the same time ferment ale beer in 65F. And all must be done with glycol chiller set near freezing temp. Can these stresse yeast in ale beer during fermentation? Thank you.

Do you have a way to disconnect the line going into the fermenter with the Ale and just reroute it to your tank ? The Ale yeast has a min temp and max and imo I wouldn't go outside that temp.

I have on each fermenter regulated temperature with magnetic valve. So i can turn off cooling on particular fermenter and continue cooling the other fermenter. Glycol flow in a loop and go through fermenter which i like to cool.

So its not a problem if cold glycol (40F) running through fermentor to maintain fermentation temperature (62F) ?

So its not a problem if cold glycol (40F) running through fermentor to maintain fermentation temperature (62F) ?

If your fermenting at 62f then your pump to that fermenter should turn on to push 40f glycol through it. Unless I'm not understanding your set up. You said you had the ability to cool each fermenter as needed . Is that correct? For instance on my chiller I only have 1 pump. I have multiple fermenters . If I wanted to have 1 fermenter at 53f and the other at 68f i would need a seperate pump because I dont want the glycol dropping the 68f fermenter down to 53f .

I think I see what your saying . Your saying that if the fermenter your keeping at 65 gets too warm the magnetic valve opens up allowing the glycol to enter cooling it down. Your asking if the Glycol is 40f is too cold ? If so then no I wouldn't worry about it . If your beer gets to say 68 and kicks on the 40f glycol will just chill it down faster then say 50f glycol.

Yes that i mean. I was affraid of yeast stress because of cold glycol. But it must be cold because of crashing other fermenter :)

No worries, I run my glycol at 28f. with three fermenters that can be at different set points, and controlled by motorized ball valves similar to your description. All commercial breweries run them this way.

Back