Cooling dry lager yeast to pitching temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
I had an issue this weekend where my wort was at pitching temp but my dry rehydrated lager yeast was still at 70 degrees. I went ahead and cooled the yeast in an ice batch and pitched near the same temp. I don't think this was the best solution from what I've read since it was still rapidly cooling the yeast, but I am wondering how people get their yeast temp down to pitching temp? Would it be ok to rehydrated earlier in the brew day and store in the fridge until pitching? I also read about slowing dropping the temp with wort additions but this seems like a lot of extra cleaning and touching the wort. What does everyone else do?

There's a method called "attemperation" which is a big fancy word to describe the simple practice of adding small amounts of the cooler wort to your slurry and waiting 3-5 minutes between each addition. That brings the slurry temp down slowly until you get within 10-15*F of the wort temp.

I find that a sanitized turkey baster works well for this. It can take 3 or more wort additions to get to the desired temp.

Back