Cooling down my wort, something wrong happened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcashew

Reaction score
Hey there,

So I began finally brewing with a controlled temperature, ala refrigeration.

Last night, I find out the hard way that I didnt have enough ice at cooldown time. Its OK, i let it sit in my fridge/freezer for a couple hours and by 2 hours it was at 75-80 and fine to pitch the yeast.

I locked it tight and put on the airlock and went to bed.

When I awoke, the wort was still quite warm!

Now Ill deal with the refrigeration problem, but has my wort been damaged being warm for so long?

THANKS.

PS This is a great Dunkelweizen recipe!

That's a lot of energy needed. You probably over worked the compressor. I hate to say it, but if that fridge has/had food in it, then it is probably the worst environment possible for bacteria. I bet it will be o.k. though anyway.

I just run the bath tub to half full, sit the pot in it and come back in 45 minutes.

edit: I reread your op and now I'm confused. Was it at pitching temp when you put it in the fridge?

Are you seeing any evidence of fermentation? If it was too warm you could have killed the yeast upon pitching.

Back