Coolers with wheels as mash tuns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKlong

Reaction score
I've asked this in a couple threads without response soooo NEW THREAD! :mug:

Coolers with wheels typically, if not always, have stepped bottoms due to the axle for the wheels. If they are used for mashing does the step create any problems such as poor efficiency?

Personally I think an uneven bottom would not allow the grain bed to settle properly or for you to stir in the grain as you will keep hitting the lips. The few coolers I have (for non-brewing use) with wheels have the drain on one end between the wheels. How do you run a level manifold across the bottle of the cooler has "steps"? Thus I would think it would hurt efficiency.

I think this entirely depends on the setup. I have seen pictures of mash tuns where there is a channel in the bottom leading to the drain. These were converted using the water supply line s.s. mesh and would IMO work very well.

If you were to use a pvc or copper manifold - not so good.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but I didn't know if anyone had experience using one. I was just looking at using something I already have rather than buying a new item. As far as the manifold goes I think one could be made using elbows to follow the step.

For batch sparging, cooler shape has no importance. Having the drain at the bottom with as little dead space as possible is a plus for any MT.

Back