Cooler Mash Tun - what to avoid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCericola

Reaction score
New to brewing, and I already want to take a strong leap into all-grain brewing. I'd like to get started on building a mash tun using a cooler. I've read the post about sizing (and I think I'll stay with a 10-12 gallon) and have read a lot of instruction on how to use SS water supply line and ball valves to get it all together.

Now, the thing I'm wonder - outside of a thin poorly insulated cooler - what should I avoid? Are there coolers that just scream, "Don't use me unless you want to kill your friends with toxins?"

Or is the easier question what brands should I get?

just get the coleman xtreme....you cant go wrong. i dont even lose a degree over a 60 min mash.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Looks like I'll go ahead and order the Coleman Xtreme.

I'm assuming there's no harm in being too big, just too small?

I think I have the 52 quart...if there is such a thing....its around 13 gallons I think. I've done 10 gallon imperial batches....and 5 gallon cream ale recipes in it and it works wonders. I went the cpvc route though, but its all personal preference.

Latest posts

Back