Cooler Mash Tun Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbachunk

Reaction score
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has installed a blichmann thermometer in their gatorade cooler mash tuns? If so what is the risk of damaging the insulation of the cooler?

Thanks for any input!

People put in bulkheads, sightglasses, and thermometers into cooler all the time. What are you worried about exactly?

I tried to do this once. Bought 2 of the the weldless bulkheads (cooler thickness) for a valve and a thermometer. Got a rubbermaid 10-gal cooler from lowes.

It worked terribly.

The valve was fine. The built-in hole in the cooler sealed up nicely with the bulkhead, and it was great. I would recommend that part.

The thermometer was a nightmare. I drilled the hole with a hole-saw, went slow, everything looked good. But a crack developed almost instantly around the hole once I filled it with hot water. It leaked like a sieve. The cooler insulation is somewhat... absorbent. It soaked up the hot water and filled the cavity up till it started leaking to the outside.

Basically, I threw it out. If I tried to use it for a mash tun, it would have hot wort getting into the insulation, and the mold would set in instantly.

Bought a new 10 gal round cooler, and just put in the valve. That worked, but it still dripped very occasionally. Not a leak really, but I think some liquid could still get into the insulation past that silicon gasket.

That cooler became my HLT. It holds hot water for me fine, and a little water in the insulation won't cause problems like wort would. I didn't bother with a thermometer, because I think that is hopeless.
I ended up making a mash-tun out of an insulated keggle, and am very happy.

I wish you luck with the cooler MT. But think very carefully before trying to put in a built-in thermometer. There might be other options like a pen-thermometer that you just check every now and then, or a thermo-well with a remote sensor.

I am having the exact same experience as Nohup right now.

I have installed 4 other thermometers into SS BK/HLT with great success. However, when attempting the double wall round cooler I am having an absolute miserable time, no matter what configuration I try and that SHOULD make sense.

I am using a male internal with hex nut, full coupling and standard 1/2" probe thermometer, looks like this Male Hex->silicone gasket->cooler wall->coupling->thermometer, the whole kit sources from brewhardware.com. I got the wall hole perfect, and the gasket is sitting nicely. Teflon on everything.

Since you can't really see inside on the wall, you can't see where the leak is coming from. Same deal, the inside fills up and then starts leaking over. Once that foam fills up with wort it will be disgusting after 1 brew.

I kind of wish I never attempted this and just kept a good thing going with my trusty CDN DTQ450X handheld.

Regards,
Justin

You shouldn't need to monitor the temp throughout the mash. Just get the temp correct at mash in and close it up. Mine loses at the most 1 degree during the hour long mash when cold out. During the summer it won't drop at all.

Back