Cooler large enough for a 3 gal. carboy or two 1 gal. carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coastalhomebrew

Hotty Toddy! Who Dat!
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I currently have a one gallon big mouth bubbler carboy. I want to get a second one gallon big mouth bubbler, or get a three gallon carboy (Fermonster with a spigot, preferably), so that I may ferment two gallons of beer at a time.

However, I live in a small condo, so space is at a premium. Plus, I have no cooled, dark space where I can store my fermenters.

As such, I plan to buy a cooler to make a “swamp cooler” for fermentation purposes. Are y’all aware of any ice chests large enough to hold two one gallon big mouth bubblers or a three gallon Fermonster? The fermonster will be approximately 18” tall with the airlock. The big mouth bubblers are not very tall (maybe 13-14” with the air lock), but they are “squat,” and probably around 7-9” wide.

What do y’all think?

Thank you #cheers

How often are you brewing? The fermenting beer only needs to be kept cool for the initial, fast part of the ferment where off flavors can be created by the overactive yeast. By the third or fourth day temperature control is unnecessary and the fermenter can be allowed to come to room temperature. If you don't have 2 batches going at the same time it won't be critical, just get your cooler big enough to fit one fermenter.

It will be difficult to find an "ice chest" (cooler) tall enough that can be kept shut while there are fermentors in there with regular airlocks on top. They make flat (low profile) flapper-kind of silicone airlocks, but I've never seen a specimen in use. Not sure they'd fit your jug-style fermentors.
A 1/2" or 3/4" ID "L" (elbow) or "T" with a blow off hose attached to the side output can reduce the needed "airlock" height to 1-2 inches. That may be the easiest and best solution. The other end goes into a smallish jar with some Starsan. That's your airlock ("bubbler").
Not sure you can close the chest's lid with 3 gallon Fermonsters rigged that way. You'd need to measure carefully.

Since space is at premium you can place such cooler chest out of the way, under a table or desk or in a multi-purpose rack.

I use a large Igloo cooler that fits two 6.5 gallon brew buckets side by side. I can stick at least 6 1 gallon carboys (wine jugs) in there or 3 3 gallon carboys, but the lid needs to remain propped open about half or 3/4 way. I drape/wrap a large thick sleeping bag over the whole contraption to keep the cold in. 2 to 4 pint-size frozen water bottles a day keeps the "water jacket" between 63-66F and possibly a little lower if added more of them. The cooler is placed in my lower level bathroom where temps remain very constant, around 68-72F depending on season.

Thanks y’all.

I just put the fermenter in an insulated shopping bag with an single ice pack. That should take care of the darkness angle.

I think I’ll iust buy the second big mouth bubbler too, that way I’m not wasting my current big mouth bubbler.

Thanks again.

Back