cool crashing/gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLopez

Reaction score
so, im going to try clearing my beer with gelatin today....

i put 1 teaspoon of knox in some cool water, and its currently "blooming".
im going to gently heat it up to a near boil, and cool it to room temp, put in my carboy, and rack a beer onto it...

my question is... should i put it in the fridge to sort of "crash" it? or should i leave it at the ferm temp?????

When I use gelatin, I crash cool the fermenter first. Then I make the gelatin mixture as you stated with the exception of I don't bother cooling it. Just dump it in and then continue to crash cool for another day to two.

When I added gelatin to cold beer it gelled instantly into balls of goo. I find it better (for me) to add it to room temp beer. I then cold crash. I have let it work at room temperature but it takes twice as long.

When I added gelatin to cold beer it gelled instantly into balls of goo. I find it better (for me) to add it to room temp beer. I then cold crash. I have let it work at room temperature but it takes twice as long.

I have been brewing for a couple of years now and have tried to perfect my ability at making clear good tasting beers. I have just keged a blonde ale which is a style I like to brew from spring to mid summer. I have used gelatin for the first time and I am very impressed with the results. My procedure is to use one package of Knox gelatin dissolved in about 10 oz. of water after it has been boiled and reduced down to 150 degrees at which time I add the gelatin and stir it until completely dissolved. I then add this to the bottom of my Better Boy bottle. I then transfer through a hose from my primary to the secondary via the racking tube on the Better Boy bottle which mixes the beer from the primary thoroughly with the gelatin mixture. This has resulted in a beer that is the clearest and brightest beer I have attained so far. The beer had been in the primary for 8 days then transferred to the secondary and put in the fridge for 5 days before kegging. :rockin::ban:

Latest posts

Back