Cool Brewing cooler -- First Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
So three days ago, I brewed a five gallon batch of British Brown ale (extract). Everything went without incident, and it's in the carboy, which is inside the cooler. Also in the cooler are two frozen one-gallon milk jugs, along with (1½" blowoff tube and jar. Everything fits easily. I've been swapping the jugs for new ones once a day in the early evening. An electronic thermometer is hanging at a level halfway between the carboy's shoulder and bottom.

After three days, it's still fermenting at a steady, unhurried pace. Air temp in the cooler is 55, the adhesive thermometer on the carboy says 60, though the wort is probably a degree or two higher. I just took one of the jugs out. When I swap tonight, I'll replace the gallon that's still there and put in frozen quart jug. Though the temp is generally steady through the day, air temp and carboy temp have both been slowly trending lower (initial air temp was 64...carboy initially settled on 66-68).

The cooler works so well, my concern is that it might be getting too cool! The jury is still out, but so far the it seems to be a definite winner.

I used the Cool Brewing product as well and I found it to work great. My only problem with it was during the California summer and initial fermentation. Haha good memories.

I have two of these and they do work very well. It is hard to really guess how much one frozen bottle will change the temps, but I've learned to keep a log and come up with some guesses.

Back