Cooking with Lard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Damn - I think my arteries are hardening. I need to drink more beer to keep my blood pressure low. :D

Here is a picture of an old college drunken masterpiece brought back to life. Its cooked with tad bit of lard since the sausage is too lean to lube the pan.

Sausage, potatoes, sliced onions seasoned with red pepper, black pepper and Lawry Seasoning Salt.

Browned the sausage, lowered the heat added onion, potato, and seasoning, covered for about 75 minutes on very low heat until the taters are soft.

Lard_Ass_001.jpg

Food close up

Lard_Ass_002.jpg

The beer.... Hoegaarten Clone (This is the appropriate pairing according to Garrett Oliver)

Lard_Ass_003.jpg

Well growing up in a spanish household,,,I know to which you are speaking.

r%20(97).jpg

And what DIDN'T my Grandma, and Mom use it in??? There's a even ton of Christmas cookie recipes that called for it...

I've never actually cooked with lard myself, but I ate plenty of it during summers in Poland as a kid.

My mother is Polish and does pork chops this way.

Browns them first, in lard, then removes the chops, throws in the taters and onions, seasons mildly (w/o red pepper) then tosses the chops onto the taters to steam until they are super soft like the taters.

mmmmm good!!!

Bacon fat! I always save it for future use. Makes the best bran muffins in the world.

My mother in law Fried fish one day. I took a bite and asked her "why does this fish taste like pork chops". She had fried fish in lard.....Doh!

I use bacon fat for a number of things. It has better flavor than most other fats out there!

Cooking with lard much less used lard..ewww. Although back in the day my dad would fry the eggs for Sunday Breakfast in the Bacon grease. I shudder when I think of it now. Pork Chops. I have not had those in a long time. I think that because I am in landlocked CO. I crave seafood so much more

Cooking with lard much less used lard..ewww. Although back in the day my dad would fry the eggs for Sunday Breakfast in the Bacon grease. I shudder when I think of it now. Pork Chops. I have not had those in a long time. I think that because I am in landlocked CO. I crave seafood so much more

That's the best way to cook eggs, though if you made a lot of bacon you do need to pour off some of the fat.

I saw the title, and thought this was a discussion about mother-in-laws in the kitchen. Sorry, carry on.

While most people are not familiar with it, the most delicious cooking fat is definitely Salo. Similar to a good dry cured bacon, but more flavorful. Though, not something your cardiologist would want you to eat too often.

The best Salo is cured in Paprika and then smoked. You can find it in any authentic Russian/Ukrainian deli.

My understanding is that lard is typically rendered pork fat. A couple years ago we threw a Belgian cooking party (emphasis on the food) and for cooking our frites I rendered down a bunch of beef suet. Those were some da#n good fries!! I saved the fat in some 2 L soda bottles in my beer fridge. I need to check it one of these days to see if it has gone rancid. I've got a hankerin' for some real Belgian frites

We want it for the nutritional value!!!

FARMER JOHN® Premium Lard - Manteca Box

Serving Size 1 Tablespoon (13g)
Calories 120 Calories From Fat 120

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13g 20% Saturated Fat 5g 25% Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 10mg 3% Sodium 0mg 0% Total Carb 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 0g
Protein 0g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 0% *Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
ingredients_hdr.jpg
Lard, BHT, citric acid.

lard rocks, for some things.
my fave :

3 lbs of country style pork ribs (just cut up shoulder, boneless, about 1.5 - 2.0" chunks)

boil in 2lbs of lard, with 1 cup of water. (it wont splatter, i promise)
4 cloves of whole garlic, paper and all.
1 lemon zested, and juice into the lard
1 lime zested, and the juice into the lard
1 orange zested, and juice into the lard.

the zest makes all the difference here!
rolling boil till the water evaporates, about an hour and a half- two hours. when the water is gone, the bubbles get small, and the deep frying starts... let is go about a half hour till the color is right. then take it out, cool, and fork shred it.
Carnitas like you have never had before. superb.

Friend Chicken cannot be made without lard. If you attempt to fry said poultry without the glory of manteca you will run aground with feelings of woe and regret for the feast that could have been... :rockin:

My grandmother used to keep bacon grease to cook with - used for almost everything.

Mother 84 (current age)
Grandmother 105
Great Grandmother 102

I think moderation is important...........unless we're talking about beer.

This evening I made yorkshire puddings cooked in a little duck fat. They were fantastic.

Mmm... things cooked in fat... :rockin:

This evening I made yorkshire puddings cooked in a little duck fat. They were fantastic.

Mmm... things cooked in fat... :rockin:

I made my first yorkshire pudding at Christmas. Used roast beast! It was damned tasty. SWMBO insisted in lathering it with butter but she enjoyed it none the less.

I will make it again. :rockin:

I made my first yorkshire pudding at Christmas. Used roast beast! It was damned tasty. SWMBO insisted in lathering it with butter but she enjoyed it none the less.

Excellent! Nothing goes better with a roast than some yorkshire puddings. For the batch I made last night, I used beer instead of water in the batter. TBH I couldn't taste the beer at all, but they were still great. :mug:

I make a standing rib roast for Christmas dinner every year, and the Yorkshire is always on the menu. Key to a perfect Yorkshire is a really hot pan (and oven) with a good layer of Tallow, and all the batter to be at room temperature. :D

Manteca is key for Tamales. I make those on New Years eve every year. It's really not a big deal if you use animal fats for cooking on occasion. The McDonalds fries actually contain a flavoring additive that tastes like Tallow.

Lard. I make Carnitas every month or so, and the traditional method calls for using lard, as in completely submerging the whole pork shoulder in a vat of lard and cooking for hours. I've never had the guts to do it that way, and I use the alternate method of water, orange juice, and spices.

Someday I'll actually do it with lard though. Really.

my mom is from fall river, she has Chourico shipped out to the west coast now and then.
cannot get it anywhere but maine and mass for it to taste right.
we have linguica out here, but it does not compare, especially in a clam bake!

Lard. I make Carnitas every month or so, and the traditional method calls for using lard, as in completely submerging the whole pork shoulder in a vat of lard and cooking for hours. I've never had the guts to do it that way, and I use the alternate method of water, orange juice, and spices.

Someday I'll actually do it with lard though. Really.

your missing out!

do it pretty much the same with the orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice (juice from one of each) and zest all three (all of the lime, half the lemon and orange) drop it all in the lard with a cup of water, and 5-10 garlic cloves, paper still on and boil it for about 2 hours till the water evaporates and then it will get crunchy on the outside.
so f'n good!
i do not do a whole roast, i cut up to big chucks....

your missing out!

do it pretty much the same with the orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice (juice from one of each) and zest all three (all of the lime, half the lemon and orange) drop it all in the lard with a cup of water, and 5-10 garlic cloves, paper still on and boil it for about 2 hours till the water evaporates and then it will get crunchy on the outside.
so f'n good!
i do not do a whole roast, i cut up to big chucks....

I don't do the thing whole either. I cut it up into two inch (or so) hunks. Yeah, I've got to try it with lard sometime. I won't be able to tell the wife though, because she'd probably not eat it then.

Back