Converting partial boil to full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glacious

Reaction score
I've been using Northern Brewer kits for most of my batches so far, and I've been doing full boils on their kits that have instructions for partial boil.

I contacted NB and they said it's fairly easy to do a full boil on these kits:
1) If there are any late extract additions, ignore them and add all of the extract at the start.
2) Follow the hop schedule on the All-Grain version of the kit.

part 1, easy. part 2, also easy since their all-grain kits typically have the same hop schedules.

My question here is if this the correct way to convert. So far the recipes have turned out anywhere from "OK" to "great" doing it this way (starting with 6 gallons, eventually boiling down to just over 5 gallons when finished). Let me know your thoughts on this, I'm planning on experimenting with my own recipes soon. I'll probably start by modifying a known recipe and see where it takes me.

An overwhelming consensus here regarding extract additions is to add most of it very LATE in the boil, not early. Early additions risk carmelizing the wort and darkening the beer.

Otherwise, there's nothing else to change. Once you know your boil-off rate, just starting with the final volume + boil-off is the best way to go.

Latest posts

Back