Converting Kettles from Threaded to Tri-Clamp Connections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoitte

Reaction score
My current HERMS setup has ~10 different ports that are all threaded. Several ball valves have quick connects attached to them but replacing washers/o-rings is annoying and testing/hoping that they don't leak in the middle of a session has made me consider going to a welded tri-clamp route.

I feel confident I could open up the existing holes I have for my ball valves to do this:

Is it common/normal for people to convert all of their hot side items to be threadless? I'm also not sure what options I have for hardware connections, which is my main reason for posting this.

In my mind I'm thinking from a tri-clamp I'd go to a ball valve with quick connects on the ends. I want to avoid using teflon tape/threads as much as possible. I've seem some ball valves someplace but those types of connections but can't find a good write up or something with good photos to confirm a popular setup for this.

Last edited:
I can't cite this, but I would say threaded NPT with teflon tape on the hot side is the most common connection used by the homebrew community by a huge margin.

Personally, I don't think that soldered or welded TC fittings on your kettles would be worth the effort. If you use NPT/TC fittings, you could have the advantages that you are looking for with respect to using TC connections without having the hassle of welding or soldering. Sure, you'll still have threads in there, but that's not a big concern on the hot side.

That said, I am all TC on the hot side with TC ball valves and TC fittings on my kettle. I started going with camlocks, but then stumbled upon a couple of deals on TC stuff and switched.

I can't cite this, but I would say threaded NPT with teflon tape on the hot side is the most common connection used by the homebrew community by a huge margin.
I think you're right. For some reason I thought that soldering/welding tri clamps and somehow fitting them with ball valves would alleviate some of my worries but it seems like one way or another there's going to be threads unless you get very technical. I haven't had many leaks but its just one of those PITA things I worry about (and probably over examine).

I saw a build here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/rebuilding-my-brutus-hybrid-into-a-kal-clone.541449/page-1

But at this point I've considered options and I need to spend my $$$ upgrading to electric before I plan out more changes to my control valves, etc.

Back