Converting a threaded RIMS tube element using tri-clamp adaptors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgauthier20420

Reaction score
So I'll be making the move to using my RIMS tube soon, and I've read a number of posts advising that it is very hard to clean the element thoroughly just through re circulation cleaning after brewing. Bobby's RIMS tube is out of reach, and since I've already got the threaded version waiting to be put to use, I thought I'd just adapt it to the tri-clover on the element end.

So I've got 1.5 in female threaded pipe that is then fitted with a 1.5" to 1" reducing bushing. That is the outlet that the element (1" threading) is threaded it to currently. So, I was thinking of fitting a 1" male x 1"/1.5" adaptor on to the RIMS tube it self. Then I'll use a female version of the same thing attached to the element. I'll seal them with this and the proper gasket.

Comment as to if these combinations will fit/work please. Thanks!

I tried it that way, and sent the parts back. They are too long, and shield a lot of the element.
Bobby's TC adapter is very short, and although a bit more money, comes with an electrical enclosure and electrical cord stress reliever.
Actually since doing all that, I'm moving towards HERMS to avoid scorching... if the flow slows down for any reason while the element if fired, you'll scorch the wort (even at 1375 watts).
If you have a dedicated ss or aluminum HLT, you might consider that... you can always sell your existing RIMS parts. They sell quick. :)

I tried it that way, and sent the parts back. They are too long, and shield a lot of the element.
Bobby's TC adapter is very short, and although a bit more money, comes with an electrical enclosure and electrical cord stress reliever.
Actually since doing all that, I'm moving towards HERMS to avoid scorching... if the flow slows down for any reason while the element if fired, you'll scorch the wort (even at 1375 watts).
If you have a dedicated ss or aluminum HLT, you might consider that... you can always sell your existing RIMS parts. They sell quick. :)

Thanks for the response! I can definitely see the fittings adding a lot of un-needed length to the tube. What adapter are you talking about? I've already got a housing set up for....I guess I can change it if it'll make the conversion work.

Are you referring to this by chance? It isn't too much more and would cut off a lot of the added length by just using that other adapter.

So I'll be making the move to using my RIMS tube soon, and I've read a number of posts advising that it is very hard to clean the element thoroughly just through re circulation cleaning after brewing. Bobby's RIMS tube is out of reach, and since I've already got the threaded version waiting to be put to use, I thought I'd just adapt it to the tri-clover on the element end.

So I've got 1.5 in female threaded pipe that is then fitted with a 1.5" to 1" reducing bushing. That is the outlet that the element (1" threading) is threaded it to currently. So, I was thinking of fitting a 1" male x 1"/1.5" adaptor on to the RIMS tube it self. Then I'll use a female version of the same thing attached to the element. I'll seal them with this and the proper gasket.

Comment as to if these combinations will fit/work please. Thanks!

This is a great setup...when it's back in stock!!
http://www.stilldragon.com/element-guard-kit-and-adapters.html

This element adapter seems like it would add the least amount of length to the setup on the element end.

BBBF, those 2 links don't help me much. I'll use the adapter which is 2" TC x 1" NPT for adding a TC connection onto the element end. I'll then need a 1 1/2" female NPT x 2" TC connection to screw into the existing RIMS tube and adapt to the 2" TC on the element. Got a link for that? :)

I forgot the stilldragon kit is 2" and your pipe is 1.5"

You could do these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hex-Nipple-...ultDomain_0&hash=item43bfd6cb1a#ht_4053wt_906

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tri-clamp-X...ultDomain_0&hash=item417a9c8c58#ht_1427wt_883

But the price between those and the StillDragen adapter is about the same as buying the 1.5" adapter and the element housing from brewhardware.

I have the SD 2" TC X 1" NPT. I don't think the heating element will fit through it, but I can check tonight if you'd like.

I used this: http://brewhardware.com/rimsherms-parts-93/176-elementparts item #2, but forgot that I machined and welded that ferrule onto my 2" adapter I already had for my RIMS.
There is no way around it, you'll just have to go with the shortest standard fittings you can find. I would eliminate the 1.5" to 1" that you have now, and just go with 1.5 male like BBBF suggests.

I forgot the stilldragon kit is 2" and your pipe is 1.5"

You could do these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hex-Nipple-...ultDomain_0&hash=item43bfd6cb1a#ht_4053wt_906

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tri-clamp-X...ultDomain_0&hash=item417a9c8c58#ht_1427wt_883

But the price between those and the StillDragen adapter is about the same as buying the 1.5" adapter and the element housing from brewhardware.

I have the SD 2" TC X 1" NPT. I don't think the heating element will fit through it, but I can check tonight if you'd like.

Couldn't I use that 2" x 1" element adapter from Still Dragon and then this adapter for 2" TC x 1.5" NPT to the RIMS tube?

I ordered a 1 1/2" FPT x 2" Tri-Clover fitting from St. Patricks of Texas. I took a 2" TC cap and dirlled & threaded it. I now have a an easy way to remove the element for cleaning it and the tube.

I ordered a 1 1/2" FPT x 2" Tri-Clover fitting from St. Patricks of Texas. I took a 2" TC cap and dirlled & threaded it. I now have a an easy way to remove the element for cleaning it and the tube.

This would be great....only I don't have that equipment :D

Is it hard or timely to do? Would be nice enough to volunteer to do this for a fellow brewer?

Otherwise, the threaded 2" TC adapter from SD for the element and the 1 1/2" FPT x 2" Tri-Clover fitting for the RIMS tube should do the trick.

I used this: http://brewhardware.com/rimsherms-parts-93/176-elementparts item #2, but forgot that I machined and welded that ferrule onto my 2" adapter I already had for my RIMS.
There is no way around it, you'll just have to go with the shortest standard fittings you can find. I would eliminate the 1.5" to 1" that you have now, and just go with 1.5 male like BBBF suggests.

My RIMS tube is 1.5" male NPT, so I'll need a female NPT fitting to connect to it. That male TC fittings BBBF linked to wouldn't work for it.

My RIMS tube is 1.5" male NPT, so I'll need a female NPT fitting to connect to it. That male TC fittings BBBF linked to wouldn't work for it.

I thought it was two tees and a nipple between them, which is why I was suggesting a male thread to go into one of the tees. That's what the picture you posted on CHBG shows.

And St. Pats does have a 1.5" male thread adapter, but they have a lot of bad reviews and are twice as expensive as the female you linked. They would be my last resort. (But if you go with them, I'd love to add a couple gaskets to your order).

I thought it was two tees and a nipple between them, which is why I was suggesting a male thread to go into one of the tees. That's what the picture you posted on CHBG shows.

HAHA your right :tank:

Don't know why the picture in my head was the other way around.

The only issue I've got with that is with two of those it's going to add allot of length to the already long tube....

I think those 2 pieces are going to get the job done. My RIMS tube is too long to begin with, so I'm going to picking up a shorter one at the same time I pick up the rest of the pieces. I don't have access to anyone that is able to cut and thread a SS pipe locally.

Thanks for the help gents.

Back