converting 15 min batch to 60 min.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sippingainteasy

Reaction score
I did a version of 15 minute pale ale that I really like. I would like to try to make a all grain batch of this but I'm unsure of the hop schedule. Here is what I did for the 15 min. batch any idea for 60 minutes?

2.5 oz Citra 15 min.
1.0 oz cascade 10 min.
1.0 oz centennial 5 min.
.5 oz citra flame out

I'd keep the late additions the same and add a small bittering charge at 60 - maybe .5 oz of Columbus or a full ounce of something with a lower AA% like Perle.

ETA: Or maybe this is a good opportunity for first wort hopping? Others may chime in with FWH advice; I almost never do it.

Maybe it's just too early in the morning and I've only had one cup of coffee, but why would the hop schedule change if you increased the boil time (assuming the same OG)? If you liked it before using a 15 minute schedule, then keep doing that. Boil without hops for the first 45 minute then begin hopping per the schedule.

Edit to add: Did you use hopped extract in the previous batch? If so, then I could see the need to increase the bittering, but otherwise, no.

Yeah, I agree with LLBean, if you like the beer, but just want all grain instead of using extract, keep the hops the same and see what happens.
Or you could use the exact same hops but add 1 oz of the citra at 60 mins and 1.5 oz at 15 mins.
Plug your recipe into the Brewer's Friend on line recipe calculator and mess around with the different hops and see what you come up with. Just remember that calculated IBU's and perceived bitterness/flavor are two different things.

I agree with others and would leave the hop schedule as is but I would only do a 30 minute boil.

Leave the hop schedule the same. Your real issue is with volume conversion vs grain bill to get the same output. But i've done many AG 60/90min boil brews with ZERO early hops (all at 15min or even 5min and less) with great results. But if you like your recipe, why muck with it?

You can boil for 45 minutes, and then start your hopping with 15 minutes left if you want to do a traditional 60 minute boil.

I do this for several beers that I love- it's called "hopbursting", where all of your hops are added to the end of the boil. You still get bittering from the hops, but maintain a ton more flavor and aroma from them and not so much bittering.

Thanks for the replies I guess I wasn't thinking just keeping it the same. I thought it may change being a extract to all grain but not sure why I thought that.

maybe .5 oz of Columbus or a full ounce of something with a lower AA% like Perle.

Is that like when I ask my local bar how strong a beer is and they respond "oh it's low alcohol... I think 8%" Or when I ask for something low on the alcohol level and they start recommending double IPA's?

Perle is around 8%... Yes it's lower than Columbus at around 15%... But I think of something like Fuggles, EKG, or the noble hops when recommending lower AA%... Perle is firmly in the medium level in my mind.

But... on topic and responding to the OP. If you leave the hopping schedule the same then you will end up with approximately the same beer unless the extract came in a premade kit and it was hopped.

If you add hops at 60 minutes like the poster I responded to recommended then all you will do is drastically changing the beer and adding bittterness that wasn't there in the first place and adding no flavor.

I should prbly just stick to the extract it is a quick and easy brew to keep something on tap. The only reason I was going to try all grain was to get the cost down on a 10 gallon batch.

Back