Convert this recipe to all grain? Shawn's Real IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tieflyer

Reaction score
Ok, I would like to convert this recipe to All Grain. Found it in BYO, and I have no idea what the equivelent grain for the toasted Klages 2row would be. Would that be 10L, 20L 50L? would this be any good? What do you think the mash temp/time should be? I assume I should lower the amount of hops but how much? What yeast would you use? 1056, S-05, WLP005?

Inquiring minds would love to see it converted.
Shawn’s Real IPA

5 Gallon, Extract; OG = 1.053; FG = 1.014

Ingredients:

4 lbs. light malt syrup (preferably English)
4 lbs. amber malt syrup (English)
1 lb. crystal malt, 40° Lovibond
0.5 lb. toasted Klages two-row malt (toast in oven on a cookie sheet at 350° F for 10 min.)
2 oz. Northern Brewer pellet hops (8.8% alpha acid), for 60 min.
1 oz. East Kent Goldings plug hops (5% alpha acid), for 5 min.
1 oz. Willamette pellet hops (3.2% alpha acid), for steeping
2 tsp. gypsum
1.5 tsp. Irish moss flakes
1 oz. Kent Goldings pellet hops (5% alpha acid) for dry hopping
1 smack pack of Wyeast British Ale in a 1/4 gallon starter culture
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

A bigger brewpot is nice for this one. I use a five-gallon pot. Bring 2 gals. of water to 160° F and add cracked crystal and toasted Klages in a grain bag. Steep in water for 30 minutes. Remove grains and sparge them with 1 gal. of 165° F water. Add gypsum and bring to a boil. Add malts, being careful not to let it boil over.

Add Northern Brewer hops, being especially careful to avoid boilover, and stir.

After 45 minutes add Irish moss. After 10 more minutes add East Kent Goldings hops. Boil for five more minutes. Just before you pull the kettle off the stove, throw in the Willamette hops and let steep with the lid on. Force cool and transfer to a 6.5-gal. carboy. Be careful not to carry too much trub (the solid matter) into the fermenter.

Pitch the yeast. Rack into secondary and dry hop with Kent Goldings after four days. Bottle after 10 days, using corn sugar to prime. Store in a cool, dry place for six weeks. Chill to 55° F, and enjoy.

The equivalent of the toasted 2-row malt would be... toasted 2-row malt. There's no reason to switch that part of the recipe, I would say. If you really wanted to use an existing toasted malt, the closest equivalent would probably be biscuit malt or Victory malt, though one could make an argument for Vienna malt as well.

The hops and yeast probably should stay just as they are now.

As for the base malt, I would hazard a guess at around 10lbs of pale ale malt being the best solution (I recommend Maris Otter if you can get it). This may end up a little darker in color than the original, so you may want to split it as 5lbs each of pale ale malt and 2-row pilsner malt.

If you can download a trial copy of BeerSmith, it includes a tool for automagically converting between all-grain and extract recipes. I would expect other programs such as ProMash would also have the same feature.

In general, 1lb grain = 0.75lb LME = 0.6lb DME. There is a more exact way to determine your numbers depending on your efficiency but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like Schol-R-Lea said, hops & yeast should remain the same as in the given recipe and toasted 2 row is toasted 2 row, it is a grain. Klages is just the name of the maltster (I assume, though I've never heard of them, could be an English pale malt). I would sub Maris Otter for the light LME and if you can find English amber malt, use that for the amber. Thomas Fawcett makes an amber malt.

Latest posts

Back