convert soda recipe form sugar priming to force carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugdry

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to switch a recipe form using priming sugar to being force carbonated? My recipes all include sugar that works both to sweeten the soda and to prime it for carbonation. If i take out the sugar for priming(using a beer calculator), i think it would be still too sweet. I could keep testing this with trial and error. But to force carbonate i need to make a minimum of 50L. That is a lot of ginger beer. lol
  • What advice do you have to sweeten it to taste before carbonating?
  • Do i get it to what i think it would taste like flat?
  • Is there a difference between force carbonating it and putting it in cans or bottles?
  • How much fizz would i lose in that process? I like my ginger beer really fizzy, but i am getting tired of foam overs.
Thanks

Sweeten to taste Flat

Carb this way ( https://www.instructables.com/id/Re-charge-your-Flat-2-Liter-Sodas ) if you do not want to force carb the whole Keg.
I make a 1/2 gallon a couple times a week of my own soda, using garden gifts. You can also use soda bottles to yeast ferment. The Yeast are not allowed to attenuate all the way down to create ABV worth talking about.
I fill 7/8 full, pitch about 15 yeast cells, squeeze bottle, tighten cap. Shake once or twice a day. When bottle 'pops' back to shape from Co2 usually ready to fridge in 3 days and shut yeast down in fridge. You can re fill when it is just about 1/3 cup at bottom, there is still yeast in there and repeat steps above, no need to repitch yeast.
If your sugar is low, like I do, about 1/3 cup to 1/2 Gallon there is not enough sugar to create any booze, even if it had an airlock and went the distance persey.

So from looking this over, it looks like i can charge plastic bottles with the co2 then quickly switch caps for carbonated soda. This is what i am looking for, but i still have a few of the same questions. ?
  • Do i get the taste to what i think it would taste like flat, then carb it?
  • How much fizz would i lose in that process? I like my ginger beer really fizzy, but i am getting tired of foam overs.

Latest posts

Back