Conversion help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentEhrman

Reaction score
Well, after 60 minutes of a steady 151 degrees, 15# of 2 row, and a half # of crystal 60 I just don't have the conversion that I should. All that grain is in about 3-3.5 gallons of water. The water is still a little hazy, and a refractometer reading came in at 1.030. I am planning to let it sit another 15-30 minutes, maybe with the lid off to try and get the temp down a couple degrees in hopes that a lower temp could help my issue..

Any ideas as to what I can do to get my starches into sugars ASAP?

I use BIAB btw, and plan to tea bag the bag of grain in warmer water to sparge, but the refractometer reading has me pretty dissapointed at this point. I'm obviously new to AG, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Temp is not the issue.

How's the crush on the grain?
Was it pre-crushed?
Are you able to stir that grain ball at all inside the bag?

Assuming the crush is fine, I'd say anything you can do to agitate/stir the grain ball will help. Worst case is maybe yo have a large dry doughball in the middle and it's just not getting exposure to the hot water for conversion.

1st time using the refractometer, I did calibrate right before use. I only had tap water, and it did say to use distilled.. Wouldn't think that would make it too far off, if any...

I crushed the grains myself, I use a corona style mill. I think I'm getting a good crush, I tighten it down until i start to see a little powder, then back off just a hair. Most all the grain is broken open well, the husks off but not shredded too much..

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong due to lack of experience. It's a bit frustrating, I will stir it up really well again, but I stirred pretty well when I mashed in.. :/

Thanks for the quick repsonses, any other advice for an AG newb?

Will there be any negative effects from mashing for 90-120 minutes?

Stirring might be helping a bit, would it be a good idea to stir my BIAB a few times throughout the mash every time?

Three things i can think of.

1.) Calibrate your thermometer
2.) Check pH of your mash(needs to be in the 5.3 - 5.7 range to get a good conversion)
3.) Have a correct crush on your malt and make sure its not years old

Well, after 60 minutes of a steady 151 degrees, 15# of 2 row, and a half # of crystal 60 I just don't have the conversion that I should. All that grain is in about 3-3.5 gallons of water.

15.5 lbs in 3.5 gallons of water? There's a big problem right there. That's a pretty thick mash, I think. 1.5 quarts per pound gives 22.5 quarts. You've got about 14. A thick mash will through off your ph, and your enzymes don't have enough to run around the yard to play!

15.5 lbs in 3.5 gallons of water? There's a big problem right there. That's a pretty thick mash, I think. 1.5 quarts per pound gives 22.5 quarts. You've got about 14. A thick mash will through off your ph, and your enzymes don't have enough to run around the yard to play!

Thanks! I always hear 1.25 qts to a #, I knew I was a little light on that but I only have a 7.5 gallon kettle to mash in for now.. this certainly could be my culprit.. I may have to go back to partial mashes until I get it straightened out. At least then I can count on my DME to toe its load of the work.

:mug:

agentEhrman said:
Thanks! I always hear 1.25 qts to a #, I knew I was a little light on that but I only have a 7.5 gallon kettle to mash in for now.. this certainly could be my culprit.. I may have to go back to partial mashes until I get it straightened out. At least then I can count on my DME to toe its load of the work.

:mug:

What I usually do is, regardless of the grain bill size, is to fill up the mash tun with strike water (less the amount the grains will take up. After draining the first runnings, measure your take and add the amount of water you still need to the mash tun for your sparge. Pretty easy.

Back