Controlling temperature from smack to ferm...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanFranBrewer

Reaction score
I recently purchased a fridge and a temp control unit with the ultimate goal of completely controlling my brewing temp for the entire process.

I wanted to get everyone’s take on my thoughts for an upcoming brew. Am I going too far? Does this sound favorable? The goal is to keep my entire process within a few degrees of fermentation temp.

The upcoming brew is a CA common that I will have set to a ferm control of 60 degrees with a 3 degree variance. I was considering smacking my wyeast pack in the morning Friday before work, leaving it in the controlled fridge at 60, pitching into a starter later that evening that will be left in the same fridge set at 60, and then pitching the starter into my wort that next morning on Saturday. Ideally the wort will be in the mid to upper 60s after chilling down from boil, creating a nice atmosphere to pitch where 1) cooler yeast will be pitched into a warmer environment and 2) the wort will only have to drop a few degrees to its final fermentation temp.

Any concern with keeping a smacked pack and then a starter at that temp? Too cold?

Thanks!

as long as your yeast and wort are within 10 degrees of each other you are OK.I prefer to pitch at temps lower then my planned fermentation temp and let it rise naturally.

i create my starter at room temp, warmer is better because you'll get more yeast growth (up to a point, obviously). when i start brewing i put my starter into my ferm chamber to get it matched up, then lower my wort to the same temp when boil is done. just my technique!

i create my starter at room temp, warmer is better because you'll get more yeast growth (up to a point, obviously). when i start brewing i put my starter into my ferm chamber to get it matched up, then lower my wort to the same temp when boil is done. just my technique!

This, Ideal yeast growth temp is 70-72 degrees, regardless of strain (lagers included)

My concern would be the contribution of off flavors as I pitch the entire starter. I take it this wasn't a problem for you?

I have been pitching when the yeast are active as opposed to letting them ferment out and then decanting- per Wyeast's pitch rate vid. I shoot for an 18-24hour window. Yet to decant.

Latest posts

Back