Controlling Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Know

Reaction score
I've noticed in my fermentations that some beers/wines produce significant amount so krausen, sometimes overflowing the airlock, while others have very little.

What determines how much krausen is produced during fermentation? and is there any way to control it?

I would like to be able to keep this under control if possible since I favor 1 gallon carboys.

anyone know?

there is no simple answer to that complex question. some contributing factors are: what strain of yeast, how active it is, how viscous the beer is (how much protein is in solution, how high the gravity is, etc.) what pressure it is under, how turbid the beer is (how much particulate stuff is in suspension), what temperature it is, etc.

Some suggestions:

1) Use a blowoff tube
2) use Fermcap S
3) learn which yeast strains are notorious for violent fermentations vs which are fairly mild so you will know what to expect
4) fermenting on the cooler end of a yeast strain's temperature range will generally result in a less violent fermentation

seems its not something to be controlled. I'll just keep using the blow offs

I use 1 gals to make 5 variations and see which I like best before I got to a 5 gallon recipe. I'm in brewing for the experimentation.

Back