Controlling Alcohol Levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkent1978

Reaction score
I recently made a 2 gallon batch of cyser with a OG of 1.128 and pitched 1 packet of D-47 (rehydrated w/ GoFerm) and used SNA up to 50% sugar.

Ingredients as follows:
-4lbs wildflower
-27 C. or 1.668 Gallons Cider
-.5lb Brown Sugar
-1/4 C. raisins

From using hightest's calculator and knowing that D-47 has a yeast tolerance of ~14% my aniticipated final gravity was 1.013.

After 7 days I took a reading and I was at 1.006 and still showing signs of fermentation. Any thoughts? Just "really hungry" yeast??

Apple juice often helps yeast go past their usual expected ABV tolerance. In Cysers seeing D47 go to 16% ABV is not uncommon. If you want to keep the ABV down, starting with a lower gravity and then stabilizing and backsweetening allow you to have more control.

Medsen

Thanks for the reply...this is helpful to know! Having had the opportunity to have a few different commercial cysers lately it begs the next question...

when intending to hit say 13% or 14% ABV on a consistent basis are the commercial meaderies fermenting to ~1.000 and backsweetening or are they fermenting to the yeast's tolerance

My guess would be they backsweeten to their desired sweetness. I would think even on a commercial scale that it would be to difficult to contain the yeast to such a set standard.

Back