Controlling a kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMonti

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
With the exception of the element, yes. I would look at eBay for better components. Spend your money on more useful stuff like a temp controller that gives you a reading in F.

With the exception of the element, yes. I would look at eBay for better components. Spend your money on more useful stuff like a temp controller that gives you a reading in F.

Are you saying the ssr might not be large enough in the second kit? A 40 amp ssr could be had for 5-6 bucks.

Are you saying the ssr might not be large enough in the second kit? A 40 amp ssr could be had for 5-6 bucks.

What I am saying is there are levels of quality when it comes to Chinese crap, do your research, names like Watlow produce great high quality stuff for great prices on eBay.

Hello everyone,

I melt metal for a living and controlling an electrical element isn't something I know anything about. Is this kit all I'll need in order to wire up an element into a boil kettle allowing me to hold set temps as well as manually control the element?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0148A9C1A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks

Edit:
Or is this one better?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087O6S2A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I don't know if the first PID has a manual mode, but the last one definitely has.
So I vote for the second kit. The only downside - you will need a fan for that heatsink. And don't forget about thermo grease

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a PID, it's called a temperature controller. A PID is a function of the temperature controller. It's like calling a gun a firing pin. Please stop

A PID is a function of the temperature controller
To be strictly kosher, PID is not even a function but a type of algorithm used in calculations (and not even that, if we dig deeper). Striving to keep to the most precise definitions can take us miles away from brewing. Simplifications and forgivable negligence are hardly avoidable here, otherwise everybody would still call hoovers 'vacuum cleaners'.
;)

I don't know if the first PID has a manual mode, but the last one definitely has.
So I vote for the second kit. The only downside - you will need a fan for that heatsink. And don't forget about thermo grease

Thank you.
I went ahead and bought both kits along with a thermo couple and a 40 amp ssr. I figure I can use the other controller for another solar water heating project I'd like to build latter on.
I have a tube of artic fox thermal grease on hand along with a small 12 volt fan. I hope it's a big enough fan but we shall see on that when the controller kits get here.
Has anyone ever thought about using a CPU cooler with the heat pipes and maybe a fan? It could look really cool if done right.

PID's (ha!) are not necessarily the best choice for boil controllers. An infinite linear controller is much easier to put together and allot cheaper too.
10000W-SCR-Voltage-Regulator-

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my first post. I'm looking to do some sort of a clone/Frankenstein version of the grain father. So the ability to set a temp as well as boil etc. is part of the build. All from the same element.

Will I need two SSR's in order to kill all the power to the element? Or does the SSR switch both legs?

Will I need two SSR's in order to kill all the power to the element? Or does the SSR switch both legs?

You only need to control one leg of a 240v 2 wire supply, BUT, if you want to kill power completely for servicing or such, you need a contactor or disconnect. An SCR will still pass voltage even if it's control signal is off.

Back