Control panel PID bypass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stooby

Reaction score
I’ve finally finished some huge projects and ready to build my panel, just 1 PID & 1 element. I’d like to have a separate 240V outlet in panel in case I want to hook up something that needs it. Do I have to install another outlet or can I wire up a switch to bypass the PID? I’ll never be using the element or another tool at the same time I will have a contactor in my panel. Anywhere I could find a diagram? BTW my PID is Dspr 300. Thanks

Why not just plug your other 240V device into the wall outlet if you don't need power modulation? Or, you could just run your EZBoil in boil mode at 100%.

Brew on :mug:

It is your panel. You can do anything you want. If you are worried about accidentally running two things simultaneously, I would put on ON-OFF-ON switch in the panel so that only one plug can be powered at at time. If that's never going to be a problem, just have an extra outlet. My panel is only plugged into 1 outlet at the wall and I keep things plugged into the other outlet, but I know not to use them while brewing.

I don’t have a wall outlet, will just have one on the panel. I’ve no experience with PID controllers and wasn’t sure if running it at 100% would be a good idea. I’m not worried about using both outlets simultaneously if I install another one just didn’t know if it was necessary

I don’t have a wall outlet, will just have one on the panel. I’ve no experience with PID controllers and wasn’t sure if running it at 100% would be a good idea. I’m not worried about using both outlets simultaneously if I install another one just didn’t know if it was necessary
I am not a licensed electrician, but I believe hard wiring your control panel to the structure wiring is a code violation. You need to have your control panel plugged into an outlet so that it can be disconnected from the structure wiring.

Hard wiring your control panel makes it part of the building wiring and subject to NEC and local electrical inspection in most juristictions. It's a much better idea to put the outlet in and put a plug on the control panel.

To answer the other question though, just put the EZboil in boil mode at P100 or set the mash mode temp to 250F.

I'm installing a spa panel right next to controller. So you mean I should run a cord from it to controller for a disconnect? Both panels will be wall mounted

I'm installing a spa panel right next to controller. So you mean I should run a cord from it to controller for a disconnect? Both panels will be wall mounted
You should have your spa panel plug into a wall outlet. That way you don't have to have your spa panel or control panel inspected.

Got it. I haven’t found a diagram for a panel as simple as mine except one without a contactor but I’m sure I can figure it out. Thanks for the help!

Got it. I haven’t found a diagram for a panel as simple as mine except one without a contactor but I’m sure I can figure it out. Thanks for the help!
If you need help with a schematic, I can help.

If you don’t mind that would be great. I’m going to use the adjacent spa panel to act as power switch but I would like an indicator light on panel. Then element switch and light, PID, 240v outlet and RTD outlets. Since the Dspr300 has relay outputs I thought I might put alarm & alarm switch and go ahead & install an additional light in case I ever needed it. I know some don’t use a contacter but I’ve got one. Thanks, Rick

If you don’t mind that would be great. I’m going to use the adjacent spa panel to act as power switch but I would like an indicator light on panel. Then element switch and light, PID, 240v outlet and RTD outlets. Since the Dspr300 has relay outputs I thought I might put alarm & alarm switch and go ahead & install an additional light in case I ever needed it. I know some don’t use a contacter but I’ve got one. Thanks, Rick
The EZBoil display lighting up when you switch on the spa panel will function as a "Power On" light. Do you want a separate Power On indicator in addition to that?

The PID isn't going to handle the full load, it just runs the contractor or SSR or what have you. It shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a schematic that should meet your requirements. You need to make sure your "Element Power On" switch is off before turning on the power at the spa panel. Otherwise, you might be surprised by the element coming on before you want it to, which could lead to dry firing and element failure.

DSPR3x0 1 Element Alarm Contactor.PNG

I have just about everything in the diagram except I have a 10A NO switch & 240V light for the element instead of lighted switch. Is that the correct switch? I haven't bought the alarm switch & buzzer yet. Thanks for all the help!

I have just about everything in the diagram except I have a 10A NO switch & 240V light for the element instead of lighted switch. Is that the correct switch? I haven't bought the alarm switch & buzzer yet. Thanks for all the help!
As currently designed, it uses a 120V LED for the "Element Power Enabled" lamp. It could easily be changed to use a 240V LED. For 240V, the unswitched lead of the LED goes to the black hot line, rather than neutral.

Back