Continuous hopping question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to divide my hops up if I want to do continuous hopping. So let's say I have 10 oz. or 12 oz. or 7 oz. etc... of hops. How do I know how many ounces to add at what times?

I have read where people just throw in a few at a time but I would really like to throw in the same amount of hops over the entire boil.

Thanks!

*EDIT* Also, how do you calculate IBU when you do continuous hopping?

Integral calculus. Create a formula with discrete additions over time, then make the time graduations smaller and smaller. It's really a limit problem, and will result in an integral. Textbook integral. Just use the normal integral rules. Newton? Leibniz?

[edit] sorry, feeling a bit funny tonight. Anyway, just use beersmith. It will do the math for you. Might take a while to get all the additions you want, but it'll work.

So, I googled "Integral Calculus" and here is what I found:

[ƒ(x)g(x)] dx = ƒ(x) dxg(x) dx

And you expect this to help me?! :confused:

Unfortunately, I am running a mac so I do not have beer smith. Any chance I can beg somebody to figure this out for me? Pretty, pretty please? :D

So, this is much simpler. How about something like this:

No bittering hop additions. During the last 10 minutes of the boil, add 1 ounce of hops every minute for a total of 10 ounces of hops.

I've heard good things about Hop Bursting, like you describe. It's a lot of hops, but I've heard it's awesome. For continuous hopping, you can check this out- http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

With this site, you can only enter hop additions in 5 minute increments, but it'll give you a pretty close idea of what you'd get.

Back