Contemplating the switch to BIAB....Headed in the right direction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricerahops220

Reaction score
How's it going everyone, as the title states, I am currently an extract brewer with about 15 batches under my belt considering going to BIAB. I was once considering going all grain with a cooler mash tun, and even went so far as to build the mash tun, but was a little too nervous about my setup/brew area to actually commit to trying it.

So, here i am now, looking at BIAB and considering taking the plunge before spring time when I typically start to brew quite a bit more. I've looked high and low on this site to try and find a setup similar to what I would like to end up with but have not found one yet. The closest thing I have been able to find is the one run by Seven who has the BIAB how-to suck to the top of the thread.

As it stands now, after 9 months of going back and fourth which kettle/size to buy, I am ready to pull the trigger on a new 12 gallon kettle. The kettle will be outfitted with a tangential inlet TC port, a thermowell TC port and a bottom TC drain port. The system will be run off of propane but this where my questions start to come from.

Does anyone on here have a system set up like this? Should I be worried about the seals on the TC of the ports while I heat the pot? If I were to circulate the wort during while mash/steeping and needed to heat the wort, could I leave the hoses on or would they melt? Would I ever need to circulate the wort while steeping (my thought was to keep the temp even throughout the kettle)? Am I just going to need to get several heat shields to solve my problems?

For those wondering, the setup I am looking at is the new SS Brewtech Brewmaster Kettle (10 G), Blichmann hellfire burner, a chugger pump, Bayou Classic Basket, and a Weiserbag.

My suggestion would be to start simple, get a bag, a pot, and a heat source and brew a few batches.
Perhaps a pulley as well....

Spend a little time on the bicycle before you hang farkles all over it. Then with a little experience you can figure as you go.....

How large is your kettle that you are currently brewing with? Perhaps you can run a couple batches with that?

I think you may be suffering from "paralysis by analysis,"

J/k :). You can make nice BIAB brews with a $20 garage sale turkey fryer and 10 cents worth of soap to clean it....

My suggestion would be to start simple, get a bag, a pot, and a heat source and brew a few batches.
Perhaps a pulley as well....

Spend a little time on the bicycle before you hang farkles all over it. Then with a little experience you can figure as you go.....

How large is your kettle that you are currently brewing with? Perhaps you can run a couple batches with that?

I think you may be suffering from "paralysis by analysis,"

J/k :). You can make nice BIAB brews with a $20 garage sale turkey fryer and 10 cents worth of soap to clean it....

So my current setup is a 5 gallon cheap SS kettle ($60), an old turkey frier burner which takes a while to heat my wort even with only 3-4 gallons, and some carboys as well as a bucket for fermentation as well as all the kegging equipment I will ever need.

I considered starting with 3 gallon batches but even with my current kettle, I would struggle with that just due to its size. So I gave though to just getting a bayou classic 10 gallon pot but then I feel as though that's a bit of a waste of money if it leaves me striving for more down the road and at that point I'm out another $100 bucks.

You are probably right in the sense that I am way overthinking this but I guess I wont really know until I just go for it.

I agree with Wilserbrewer, you've spent way too much time analyzing. Now get to brewing. Get yourself a mesh bag, a 5 gallon paint strainer will do to start with such a small cost that you can discard it if you want to get a better bag later. Since you have batches behind you, I'll assume you have a 5 gallon pot. Use that and a bag to do a 2 1/2 gallon batch. Once that is behind you, you will have a better idea if this is what you want to do and choose a more appropriate size pot....or do like me and just crank out 2 1/2 gallon batches so you can sample so many different styles.

^It really is that simple.

The keys to throwing away money on temporary gear are to A) Get cheap gear that can be repurposed later; and B) Truly spend only a small amount of money.

People mess up when they invest more on something that almost works, or is almost good enough. Then they regret it and eventually just cave and spend lots more on what they should have bought in the first place.

But that's only when you really have a clue and know what you need. It's no shame to admit that you don't know yet. So don't blow big money all at once.

You already have a kettle. One day you'll have a big, groovy kettle with lots of ports and gewgaws, and you can order a custom bag from Wilser at that point. Til then, go to the hardware store and get a 5 gallon paint strainer bag for literally a few bucks. And start brewing beer in your 5 gallon kettle. Smaller batches are perfect for new AG brewers. Don't buy the "5 gallons or bust" mantra.

One approach is to start basic, learn what you actually need, then grow from there as you gain experience. The other approach is to buy all the bells and whistles w/o knowing what they do in the process, then never use them as you thought. Money down the drain.

Start slowly and purposefully, grow your system as it grows with you.

I made the switch from Extract to BIAB last spring and it was the best thing I did! If you have any reservations, start off with a paint strainer bag and do small batches with the equipment you have. If you become hooked (which I'm sure you will), then look at Wilser to buy a bag to match your kettle. Also, if you're looking to upgrade your kettle go a little bigger than you think you will need. I have a kettle which works perfect for my 5.5 gallon batches. I can even do high OG beers without any issues too.

Now, stop over thinking it and go be with the bag! ;) LOL

Any turkey fryer burner should easily heat 3-4 gallons. Might your burner be dirty and need cleaning. If it is a basic jet or star burner you remove the screw and take it apart, there may be a bunch of rust and crap in there that is fouling your flame ?

Couple of things I noticed. The biggest is that you don't really need triclamp fittings for the hot side of a brewery. For BIAB, they're more bling than functional. Although I'd you're using a heating element one could argue that it makes cleaning the element simpler.

Another, from your description of your ports, it sounds like you want to bottom drain ("bottom TC drain port"). I wouldn't do that unless you were going electric.

If it were me, I'd get a 15 gallon Bayou Classic, a bag from wilserbrewer, and start simple with single infusion, no sparge and insulation. Then you can add whatever you want after doing a few batches and figuring out what you want.

Get yourself a kettle and a bag. Don't worry with trying to recirculate. My pot has one drain valve and that's it. I have a Wilserbrewer bag. One advantage of a 10 gallon kettle over a larger one for 5 gallon brews is the minimal head space during the mash. I wrap the kettle in an old winter jacket and only loose a degree or two during an hour mash. Keep it simple to start.

Agree with TexasWine - I started with the Bayou Classic and wilserbrewer bag. Insulated first with blankets and then with reflectix. It is amazing how stable the mash can be even in my NE winters.

Of course, I geeked out from there, and now recirc with RIMS tube, but all were incremental add-ons, still using the same Bayou Classic kettle and bag.

Of course, I geeked out from there, and now recirc with RIMS tube, .

Well, I admire your honesty....now the real question, is the beer better or does it just bring more geek pleasure....

Oh and your saving all the effort of wrapping the kettle lol guessing the rims tube is more effort cleaning set up break down and maintenance.

Honesty counts cheers :)

Unless you "go for it" with BIAB, I would look at the mash tun you have already made. By "go for it" I mean setting up totally with a hoist to pull the hot wet sticky messy bag from the kettle. I have done BIAB, but I set up my HLT, Mash Tun, Boil kettle rig first. I don't enjoy BIAB, because I am not properly set up for it. I have used 5 gallon paint strainer bags in a 5 gallon pot and find the clean up to be a PITA. It is much easier to rinse out my mash tun than to clean the bag. I guess I could add the cost of the bag to my brew day and just throw it away.

That said I have seriously been looking at the Grainfather as a way to bring my brewing indoors. My next step will be electric of some sort.

Uhhhh.......BEER!!!!!! Make it.........drink it.......... be uhhh............DRUNK????? Hold on, hold on, Ima goonna go grab another one.

Seriously though, I spent a lot of time researching BIAB, decided to get a kettle and a bag and go for it. NOT what happened for me (got the equipment bug) but it will work just fine. Get a bag for that kettle and give it a go. Just my .02 kinda buzzed cents.

Well, I admire your honesty....now the real question, is the beer better or does it just bring more geek pleasure....

Oh and your saving all the effort of wrapping the kettle lol guessing the rims tube is more effort cleaning set up break down and maintenance.

Honesty counts cheers :)

No comment....:)

Latest posts

Back