Contamination Concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutigers81

Reaction score
I just transferred my first high-gravity beer from the primary to the secondary yesterday. This is about the 10th batch I've made, and this is the first that has a ring of foam at the top of the brew in the carboy. I'm a bit concerned, being that this is the first time i've seen this sort of situation in the carboy. I'm thinking that it's either continued fermentation due to the higher gravity, or, gulp, potential contamination.

Any need to be worried?

What was the gravity and how did it taste? Sounds to me like it is still fermenting. Being a higher gravity beer it will take longer. :mug:

Unfortunately, I didn't take a gravity reading, but I didn't notice any off flavors when tasting it. Given the massive CO2 activity during the time in the primary, I am leaning towards fermentation still not being complete. I haven't had a problem with contaimination yet and followed all the steps as in previous batches, so I am cautiously optimistic that it is just still producing alcohol.

Thanks for the guidance!

Back