Contaminated Yeast ?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your full of b/s. Reading your other posts of using bakers yeast. I don't believe that you have made anything . No pic = it didn't happen. Your claim yeast is costly where you are. What are the price of buckets ?

I used Deionized water ( RO ) and Light DME .

Re-hydrated the Yeast at 25C ( using bottled spring water which was boiled ) and by pitching the Temp. of the Wort was 22C .

After pitching , I reduced the ambient Temperature gradually to 19C and it is already at 19C for the 7th Day .

By previous Batch the ambient Temp. was 17C .

Fermentation Temp. of "Safale S-04" is 15-24C .

I did not bottle the previous Batches because of contamination .

They didn't smell even like a green Beer . They were total sour ( like Vinegar ) and flat .

Hector

I think your full of b/s. Reading your other posts of using bakers yeast. I don't believe that you have made anything . No pic = it didn't happen. Your claim yeast is costly where you are. What are the price of buckets ?

Ale Yeast was not available to me earlier and my only Option was Bread Yeast .

It does NOT matter if you believe or not .

I'm NOT a FOOL Person to sit in front of my PC and waste my and others' time to say something that never has happened .

I have no Digital Camera . So , I can not make a Picture of my Batch .

Perhaps I will try to borrow some from a friend .

I've got two food-grade plastic Buckets from a Restaurant for free !

They are used as Yoghurt Buckets .

Any other Questions dear windbreaker123 ?!

Hector

Ale Yeast was not available to me earlier and my only Option was Bread Yeast .

It does NOT matter if you believe or not .

I'm NOT a FOOL Person to sit in front of my PC and waste my and others' time to say something that never has happened .

I have no Digital Camera . So , I can not make a Picture of my Batch .

Perhaps I will try to borrow some from a friend .

I've got two food-grade plastic Buckets from a Restaurant for free !

They are used as Yoghurt Buckets .

Any other Questions dear windbreaker123 ?!

Hector

Yoghurt buckets? Well, since yoghurt is loaded with lactobacillus, I think we've found the cause of your infection!!!!! Lacto should be kept a million miles away from your beer. Lacto infection tastes sour, and the bottles will "gush".

sounds like lacto then. Pitch the buckets opt for some pastry or non-cultured buckets elseware.Or new.Do you notice many scratches in the buckets?

hector said:
YES , YOU ARE SOOOO L U C K Y !!! Believe me !

I did each time exactly as you did with the Sachet .

Now I'm totally confused and of course ANGRY !

Hector

Well, after 44 batches, that's about at least 10 to 15 times I have split the yeast pack, stapled it, and tossed it into the fridge, I will probably keep doing what I have been until I get a bad one.

Yoghurt buckets? Well, since yoghurt is loaded with lactobacillus, I think we've found the cause of your infection!!!!! Lacto should be kept a million miles away from your beer. Lacto infection tastes sour, and the bottles will "gush".

I did NOT use these Buckets for brewing , as I do only the Primary and then bottle the Beer .

All my previous Batches were brewed in plastic Water Jugs .

Hector

sounds like lacto then. Pitch the buckets opt for some pastry or non-cultured buckets elseware.Or new.Do you notice many scratches in the buckets?

I did NOT use Buckets for brewing , as I do only the Primary and then bottle the Beer .

All my previous Batches were brewed in plastic Water Jugs .

p.s. Would you please write your Replies in the other Thread titled " How to use dry Yeast ?"

Hector

Why would you mention these buckets if you don't use them in your brewing process. I think I can speak for everyone here and say that you are not giving us any good details to work with then we can't help figure out why all of your batches are coming out contaminated.

You also seem to have an attitude with everyone here when all we are trying to do is help you. I have seen from experience that everyone that replies to beginners threads are trying to be as nice and helpful as possible to help people learn this great hobby.

Go ahead and give us your entire process from start to finish (any small details help) and I am sure some of the moderators or senior members can pinpoint exactly what is wrong. If you are going to have an attitude with the people that are helping you then people are not going to want to help you.

I've never liked the way my beer tastes coming out of the fermenter. I keg and when I try my beer as soon as it is decently carb'd I usually say to myself, "This batch sucks, oh well, better luck next time..." only to give it another week and fall in love with it. Now that I've done that a few dozen times I'm slowly starting to relax and realizing that good beer is the product of time and up until you've really given it enough time it isn't good beer yet. You'll be disappointed and think that you've done something wrong. The fact that you dumped your beer before bottling (after what, two weeks in the fermenter?) tells me that you never gave your beer a chance.

Had you left it in the fermenter for three weeks, bottled and let bottle condition at least another three weeks at 70f, then chill for a week before drinking and STILL said it tasted contaminated then I would think you might really have a problem.

From what you described doing I think you're chasing a boogey man.

Why would you mention these buckets if you don't use them in your brewing process. I think I can speak for everyone here and say that you are not giving us any good details to work with then we can't help figure out why all of your batches are coming out contaminated.

You also seem to have an attitude with everyone here when all we are trying to do is help you. I have seen from experience that everyone that replies to beginners threads are trying to be as nice and helpful as possible to help people learn this great hobby.

Go ahead and give us your entire process from start to finish (any small details help) and I am sure some of the moderators or senior members can pinpoint exactly what is wrong. If you are going to have an attitude with the people that are helping you then people are not going to want to help you.

I started another Thread titled " How to use Dry yeast ? " because there were not enough replies to this Thread .

The Discussion were on its way by that Thread and suddenly Someone with the Username "windbreaker123" came through and

said that he/she doesn't believe in what I'm saying and I'm making a Story out of it since I haven't put any Picture of my Batch !!!

He/She asked me also how much I paid for the Buckets because he/she must have thought that I have brewed my Batch in a Bucket .

I replied that I have no digital Camera and can not take a Picture of the Batch and I've got the Buckets for free from a Restaurant .

The others who were discussing with me on this Thread thought also that I'm using a Bucket as the Primary .

That Thread has been suddenly deleted and no one told me the Reason !

p.s. I haven't any attitude with anyone in this Forum . you have probably misunderstood .

I've learned a lot about brewing since January 2010 as I joined this Forum .

Hector

That Thread has been suddenly deleted and no one told me the Reason !

Hector

Probably because they were near-duplicates of each other. No worries.

Hector, can you tell us where you live? Some other members of this forums might live nearby and may be able to advise you better, given the limited availability of supplies at your location.

Also, please post detailed information about one of the recipes and the process you used for a recent batch, giving as much detail about it as you can. The more information we have, the more we may be able to identify what is going so wrong.

One thing I would suggest is switching to glass jugs to ferment in. I use glass for small batches, and one of it's major advantages is the easy of cleaning and sanitation, as long as the glass remains unscratched.

Hi ! Nice to hear from you again !

I was worrying that the members who were discussing with me on that Thread may forget that and I'll be alone with the Case .

I live in the Middle East and there are no brewing supply Shops here and I can not order

such things online because the Post won't bring it to me .

Glass Carboys are TOO EXPENSIVE here .

As I said , I use plastic water Jugs now and they are Deionized Water containers ( Vol. = 5 Liters ) .

I buy one filled with deionized Water for 2.20$ and then use both the Water and the Jug for brewing .

Hector

Do you use an airlock on your primary fermentor, Hector? It sounds like you live in an environment that is hostile to brewing (dirty, no local supplies.etc..)

Not talking about glass carboys, but glass jugs, about 4-5 liters in size. Usually they come filled with juice.

Not talking about glass carboys, but glass jugs, about 4-5 liters in size. Usually they come filled with juice.

I've never seen such a thing in any Store here .

Juices are sold here in plastic Jugs , plastic Bottles or Tetra Pak .

Hector

So , how should I find the Cause of this Problem ?!

I use always Primary for 14 Days and then I would bottle the Beer .

I think this Batch is contaminated , because it has behaved the same as the previous batches ( after 2-3 Days of vigorous fermentation , the Beer remains cloudy until the end of the Primary Phase and there are always tiny bobbles coming to the surface from the bottom of the Carboy ) .

Hector

I would say given your description of the contamination that you are not describing an infected batch. Have you ever let the brew finish and given it the old taste test? Before I tried chasing down this issue any further I would give that a try. If you are worried about what you describe as the indication of the infection, give it another week in the primary or next time go to a 1 week primary and two week secondary. Without knowing exactly what you are brewing I would suggest at very minimum a three week condition.

I started another Thread titled " How to use Dry yeast ? " because there were not enough replies to this Thread .

Your thread was not deleted. It was combined with this one. One of the forum rules is you don't start multiple threads with the same topic. It's confusing, repetitive, and impossible to follow the thread.

All of the posts are here. Not one was deleted.

So , I brewed my current Batch as follows :

In fact , it's a Test Batch because I wanted to find out where the Bacteria comes from .

I dissolved 142.9 grams of light DME in 600 ml of Deionized water and diluted it to 1.250 Liters . The Extract which I use have 42 points and the Vaporization Rate is 250 ml per 20 Minutes . So , after 20 Min. boil , I would have one liter of Wort which has O.G. 1.050 .

After boiling , I cooled the covered Pot in an Ice-Water Bath and it took 10-15 Minutes . Then I racked the cool Wort into a clean and sanitized plastic Water Jug using a clean and sanitized Vinyl Tube , because I thought that the Bacteria may come from the Edge of the Pot .

The Jug provided enough room for aeration , as I made the 1-liter-Wort splash in the 5-liter-Jug .

By the way , I use Iodophor for Sanitizing . I buy " Povidone Iodine 10% " from Drug Store and dilute it

in Deionized water ( 1.25 ml per Liter of Water ) .

I poured the aerated Wort into a clean and sanitized 1.5-liter-plastic-spring-Water-Jug using a clean and sanitized glass Funnel . I read the Wort Temperature using a clean and sanitized Thermometer and capped the Jug .

The Wort Temp. was 22C and my Room temp. was 24C . I left the Jug in the Room and went to the Kitchen .

I boiled 150 ml of bottled spring Water for 15 Minutes and then cooled it covered in Ice-Water bath . As its Temp. reached 26C , I took 10 ml of the Water by using a clean and sanitized Syringe and poured it into a clean and sanitized 50ml-Glass-Beaker and put it on a Scale and poured slowly the dry Yeast onto the Water surface till the Scale read 1.0 gram . Then I covered the Beaker with a clean and sanitized sheet of Aluminium Foil , waited for 20 Minutes . Then after a gentle stirring , I poured it into the Jug which contained the Wort .

I left the capped Jug in the Room for an Hour , because I wanted to eat something . Then I reduced its Temp. gradually to 20C and put on the clean and sanitized Airlock .

After 7 Hours there were a tiny Layer of white Foam on the surface .

So , can I say the Lag time was 7 hours ?!

During this time , the ambient Temp. was 20C and as the vigorous fermentation began after 12 Hours , I reduced it to 19C .

The vigorous fermentation took 3 Days and then slowed down gradually .

Today is the 8th Day and the ambient Temp. is still at 19C .

Although I used a fast fermenting Yeast , there are tiny bobbles coming non-stop from the bottom of the

Jug to the surface and the Beer looks cloudy .

Hector

Hector:

It sounds like you're doing everything right. I think the best thing you can do for yourself and your beer right now is to leave it alone for another week or so, and then bottle and age it for at least another three weeks. The tiny bubbles you see coming up from the yeast cake are a sign that the beer is not done fermenting yet. The yeast is still consuming residual sugars in the wort, and it's also converting some other waste products that don;t taste good into other products that taste better. What your beer needs is time and patience.

Beer can taste funny early in the fermenting and aging process. You may have read about "green" beer before. Green beer is beer that hasn't had time to properly age.

Look at it this way. Either the beer has an infection, or it does not. If it does, you can still bottle it, carbonate it, and let it age for a few weeks -- you have nothing to lose except a little bit of effort.

If the beer is not infected, and the green flavor of the beer is fooling you, you might end up with a gallon of tasty beer in another few weeks. The worst thing that can happen is that you put in the effort and your beer still doesn't taste good. I just think you need to give it the chance to age and mature before you decide it's ruined. Lots of great beer doesn't taste great for five or six weeks after you brew it.

Good luck, and I hope you'll keep us update on how it turns out.

Sounds all good to me. Only things I would change is to make the yeast starter first and pour your cooled wort directly into your 1.5L jug. You should be able to aerate in it just fine.
And put the airlock on before your snack- and I am more concerned with the cleanliness of my hands than my equipment while brewing. RDWHAHB

Hector:

Beer can taste funny early in the fermenting and aging process. You may have read about "green" beer before. Green beer is beer that hasn't had time to properly age.

You are right , BUT my previous Batches didn't smell and taste like a green Beer .

They were sour like Vinegar .

Hector

You are right , BUT my previous Batches didn't smell and taste like a green Beer .

They were sour like Vinegar .

Hector

Yeah, like green beer.

Beer at room temp, just out of the fermenter, that hasn't been carb'd doesn't taste like beer, green or otherwise, to me either.

Let it ride, you are doing fine.

and I am more concerned with the cleanliness of my hands than my equipment while brewing. RDWHAHB

I wash my Hands regularly with Soap and warm water by brewing and from the point of transferring the Wort from the pot to the Jug , I wear latex Gloves , wash them with Soap and Water as if I'm washing my Hands again and sanitize with Iodophor .

Hector

I wash my Hands regularly with Soap and warm water by brewing and from the point of transferring the Wort from the pot to the Jug , I wear latex Gloves , wash them with Soap and Water as if I'm washing my Hands again and sanitize with Iodophor .

Hector

YOUR BEER IS NOT INFECTED!

Go take a look at the thread of infected brews. It isn't just an off flavor, you will have visible signs of infection. You just either don't like the way your beer tastes before it's ready or you are producing off flavors in some other way. If you were to actually let the beer finish you might actually like it, so give that a try.

your brewing description did not mention any hops addidion.

are you using pre-hopped extract?

If not, the lack of hops could be the reason forf the beer going sour.

your brewing description did not mention any hops addidion.

are you using pre-hopped extract?

If not, the lack of hops could be the reason forf the beer going sour.

The Extract which I use is not pre-hopped .

I added Hops to my previous batches , but that was wasting the expensive Hops as these batches were contaminated and sour like Vinegar .

The light DME which I use costs 2.20$ per kilogram , BUT the Hop Pellets which I used costs 30$ per Kilogram .

As I said , my current Batch is a Test Batch and I wanted to find out where the Bacteria comes from .

So , I decided not to waste the expensive Hop Pellets .

Hector

Does age of the Extract have any effect on the Taste of the finished Beer ?!

I mean , does using an old DME lead to an undesirable and sour Beer ?

Hector

Hector, you do cover the bottles as they are fermenting right? I am thinking that if you aren't covering the bottles with a towel or shirt to block the light, it can skunk the hops. The acids from hops break down in light. That's why they come in brown bottles. Just a thought. I didn't see that in your list of your things you do.

Hector, you do cover the bottles as they are fermenting right? I am thinking that if you aren't covering the bottles with a towel or shirt to block the light, it can skunk the hops. The acids from hops break down in light. That's why they come in brown bottles. Just a thought. I didn't see that in your list of your things you do.

Sorry , but you have misunderstood the whole Story !

Hector

You've actually never made a batch yet. You have just tossed all your batches before they were even done with fermentation, let alone conditioning and aging. Now you made a batch with no hops which I assume you are just going to pour out as well:confused:.

Maybe you want to try your hand at hard cider. If they have pasturized apple juice without preservatives in your area you can buy a bottle and ferment it right in the bottle it comes in.

Shaneoco1981 said:

What he means is are you protecting your fermenting beer from light? Light will give your beer off-flavors. Keep them in a closet or covered with a towel or t-shirt.

Latest posts

Back