Container Growing Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbnj

Reaction score
I will be receiving my first rhizomes in a few days and have a few questions.

1) What is the smallest container I can get away with? What is the best size container to go with? I order seven different kinds because they seemed so cheap but now that I started looking at planters that cost seems to be adding up.

2) I read the BYO article on container growing and the adjustable trellis. I mentioned putting an eyelet into the stake on the top of the trellis but where do I anchor the twine? Do I put another eyelet into the pot, a smaller stake, or just let the twine hang? I get that I let the twine out as it grows so the vines lay on the ground.

3) Any recommendations for fertilizer or nutrients?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

The bigger the container the better. Last year was my first year growing hops and I used 5 gallon containers. My hops turned out well but I had to water them more often b/c the planters dried out quick in the summer heat.

The bigger the container the better. Last year was my first year growing hops and I used 5 gallon containers. My hops turned out well but I had to water them more often b/c the planters dried out quick in the summer heat.

Thanks for the help! What did you do for a trellis?

I took some clothes line wire that I had and attached it to the top of a metal pipe I stuck into the ground. I wanted to keep it simple. But others on the forum have much better setups that you might find useful

I was at Target recently and they had the giant "keg buckets" for something like $4/ea. I was actually thinking that if you drilled a couple of drain holes in the bottom they'd be a perfect cheap hop planter. You could even use the handles to attach your twine at the base.

I was at Target recently and they had the giant "keg buckets" for something like $4/ea. I was actually thinking that if you drilled a couple of drain holes in the bottom they'd be a perfect cheap hop planter. You could even use the handles to attach your twine at the base.
excellent idea, thanks for the tip. i am looking for something to create a raised bed. i might get some of these, cut out the bottoms, and partially bury it.

I bought five gallon grow bags. I couldn't find five gallon pots unless I wanted to buy plants inside them. I have several plants in addition to hops I am container growing in the bags. I am going to build a box to contain them and fill it with rubber mulch so it works like a raised bed but I can contain the roots in the containers. I expect it will help slow down the drying because those bags will dry out very fast.

Back