Contactor vs Relay for 110vac

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven9st_surfer

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing an upgrade of my control box soon and have a question. Currently, I'm limited to two 110v lines (rental home with no 220v outlet/breaker), so my setup is two 1500w elements, each on a separate line. There are a few thing I want to do differently, such as replacing my "heavy duty, 30a" toggle switches with LED pushbutton-controlled contactors. While searching for some, I've only found them at Auberins and eBrewSupply. And those are all 2 pole.

So, should I use one contactor, switching both of my hot lines (doesn't feel quite right), two contactors (one for each line, and just not using the second pole), or maybe use something like this relay. It says it's rated up to 30a, and I only pull 11-12. It just seems so small, and I don't want to put myself in the same situation I did with the supposedly heavy duty switches that fail after a dozen or so brews.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

I'm going to be doing an upgrade of my control box soon and have a question. Currently, I'm limited to two 110v lines (rental home with no 220v outlet/breaker), so my setup is two 1500w elements, each on a separate line. There are a few thing I want to do differently, such as replacing my "heavy duty, 30a" toggle switches with LED pushbutton-controlled contactors. While searching for some, I've only found them at Auberins and eBrewSupply. And those are all 2 pole.

So, should I use one contactor, switching both of my hot lines (doesn't feel quite right), two contactors (one for each line, and just not using the second pole), or maybe use something like this relay. It says it's rated up to 30a, and I only pull 11-12. It just seems so small, and I don't want to put myself in the same situation I did with the supposedly heavy duty switches that fail after a dozen or so brews.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
you can use 2 contactors and switch the neutral and hot line as well... it wont hurt and if anything it might still possibly be safer than just switching the hot depending On what fails.. I dont believe 2 mains circuits on one contactor meets code either but im not an electrician. I use similiar 25A omron relays for my element power and they've been working fine for 4 years in my control panel and for about 10 years prior to that in the xerox engineering plotters I scavenged them from when they were being scrapped. dont forget your only dealing with 120v and less than 13 amps... in a home appliance switches and relays that size are often smaller.

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. After I posted, I did see on the Auber page that they recommend wiring it like that for 110 systems. Looks like that's the route I'll go.

Latest posts

Back