Constant overcarbanation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cysiam

Reaction score
Every batch of beer I bottle is turning out overcarbed. I typically ferment for 3-4 weeks and then take multiple gravity readings to make sure fermentation has stopped before I bottle. I then use a "priming calculator" to determine the amount of sugar I need, (I'm using plain table sugar) boil it with a cup of water and rack the beer on top of it.

No matter what I do I get gushers and the occasional bottle bomb. I've tried using less sugar than the calculator calls for but it still happens. I've calibrated my scale so it's not a matter of the wrong weight.

Any thoughts or tips?

Are you getting even carbonation is all of your bottles, or are you possibly getting a bad mix where some bottles are overcarbed and some under??

Also, are you certain that you are hitting the final volumes you think you are hitting? Might you be a little low on final volumes due to more boiloff than you think, and therefore the numbers you enter in the calculator are incorrect?

It's an even mix of overbarbonation in all bottles. I have tried multiple calculators and I make sure that my final volume is correct when I calculate the priming sugar amount.

It's an even mix of overbarbonation in all bottles. I have tried multiple calculators and I make sure that my final volume is correct when I calculate the priming sugar amount.

Are you sure they're all like that? i've never broken a bottle but I've got a good bunch of gushers, most of batches sometimes. I suspect the simple syrup isn't getting mixed in the bucket well enough. Going to try to give it a gentle stir or two next time.

Isn't chilling it after 3 weeks supposed to help the yeast die and stop carbonating as well?

About 4 oz of table sugar will carbonate 5 gallons of beer to about 2.5 atmospheres of pressure, which is about average for most ale styles.

Standard beer bottles will not break and produce bottle bombs until about 4.0-4.5 atmospheres, which requires about 8 oz of table sugar in a 5.0 gallon batch.

So how much table sugar are you putting in a 5.0 gallon batch? Closer to 4 oz or closer to 8 oz.? You physically CAN NOT overcarb and have occational bottle bombs if you are closer to 4 oz if the rest of your procedure is correct.

SO, something in your procedure is incorrect. You are either NOT getting to final gravity, NOT evenly dissolving and mixing your table sugar into the solution, NOT cooling your beer in the fridge long enough before serving, NOT measuring your sugar addition correctly, or something else along those lines. Carbonation has a very limited set of fixed variables that produce a very predictable outcome, so one of those variables is off in your process, and you are just not evaluating your process correctly. You need to double check your procedure, and not just assume everything is correct, when obviously it is not.

logdrum said:
Gushers can also be an infection, just sayin'

+2

What were your FGs when you bottled? How big a batch? How much sugar do you use? How do the beers taste?

Hi

Gushers can be a capping issue. Bottle bombs not so much unless you have some *really* crappy bottles. How are you measuring the sugar - volume or weight?

Bob

I agree with TopherM, there just aren't that many variables.... are you first pouring the sugar on the bottom of a clean fermenter and then racking your final fermentation on top of that? I make sure my hose is long enough so that when the fermentation enters the bottling bucket is 'swirls' the entire body of adding fermentation... so I fill and mix while filling, after that I take a sanitized giant spoon and stir it w/OUT adding additional air if possible... you don't want to splash your fermentation into the bottling bucket.. but you do want to mix it as well as possible or you will surely have uneven carbing...
Here is the thing with carbonation, you want LESS than you think. Less is more ;-) Course I like English beer so I like very low carb'd brew but even for an IPA, less is more...

Hi

Gushers can be a capping issue. Bottle bombs not so much unless you have some *really* crappy bottles. How are you measuring the sugar - volume or weight?

Bob

Not sure I follow how gushers can be a capping issue - can you elaborate?

I'm certainly NOT assuming everything is correct. That's why I asked for thoughts on this board.

I put the sugar in the bottling bucket first and then rack the beer with a long hose so that it swirls. I use less than 4oz of sugar in each batch. The last two batches have been 3.8oz and 3.2oz. How long should they be refrigerated after bottle conditioning? Can sitting to long before refrigerating cause over carbonation?

It sounds like your sugar volume is OK. Are you sure your fermentation is finished when you bottle? Should be 1.01 or less.
I made gushers one time when I used Amylase enzyme to make a really light pilsner for SWMBO. I don't think fermentation had finished when I bottled it.

It sounds like your sugar volume is OK. Are you sure your fermentation is finished when you bottle? Should be 1.01 or less.
I made gushers one time when I used Amylase enzyme to make a really light pilsner for SWMBO. I don't think fermentation had finished when I bottled it.

Most beers will not finish at 1.010 or less. Most of mine finish in the 1.012 - 1.016 range. Bigger beers may finish even higher (as high as 1.025...maybe higher I suppose)

What matters is that the beers have been stable and at a sufficiently low terminal gravity (i.e. close to a calculated expected FG)

Totally agree on finishing gravity. This largely depends on the temp of your starch conversion. I regularly make large beers (OG 1.08+) and many of these are designed to finish higher than 1.02. The best thing you can do is give your primary ferment a chance (i.e. wait 3-4 weeks). :mug:

You want the beer to be in the fridge for about 48 hours after they are fully carbed. When you carb at room temp, a good % of the carb stays in the headspace of the bottle and does not absorb into the beer. It takes time at fridge temps for that carb in the headspace to absorb into the beer.

If you are serving them prior to that, that could be perceived as gushers, but it would not explain the bottle bombs.

I have a few beers that have been bottle conditioning for a few months. One a 7.3% IPA and the other a Milk Stout. IPA was primed with 4.5 oz corn sugar and the stout was around 3.8-4 as I do not remember off the top of my head. Anyways have not had any of them gush. You may want to check you scale. I say that considering all of you other comments that seems like the most likely culprit ... to me that is.

If you do not have anything to measure it against go get some fishing weights. Put an ounce worth or hell go all the way to 4 oz .. see where you scale sits with the determined weight.

Oh and I have been drinking those IPAs off and on since the first week. After the first 3 weeks I have not noticed any more carbonation.

For the current bottles. Let them sit in the fridge for a week. If they still do gush try putting one in the fridge for 10-15 minutes and let it get real cold. Then open it. (This is just trying to get your current bottles to stop_ this is not going to solve you issue)

Latest posts

Back