Consistiency in brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagen

Reaction score
For the past two weeks I have been doing an experiment regarding my brewing prowess.

You see, my neighbor at the end of the block asked me to both roast a pig and brew beer for the upcoming Memorial Day party, a challenge I gleefully accepted. The pig, no problem. But the beer.... another issue.

You see, he's a BMC guy, as will be the greater part of the partygoers, and he wants a 1/2 keg. Something to please the non-enlightened beer drinker, no problem. I've got a few recipes. But, the 1/2 keg, that's 15.5 gallons. I am limited to 5 gallon batches, so that means I have to do it as 3 seperate batches to get 15 gal.

That's where it gets interesting; three batches of the same recipe, brewed a week apart and served together the same night. This is where a brewer's mettle is tested, how consistient will they be? They should be nearly identical, with some leeway given to the difference in age between the first and last batch.

I decided to go with my blonde ale recipe. It's my lightest both in terms of color and flavor.

Big Bubble Blonde
Blonde Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/22/2009
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Hagen
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer: Tonya
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 88.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.3 SRM) Grain 73.68 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
0.28 oz Gelatin (Secondary 5.0 hours) Misc
1.10 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.51 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.00 %
Bitterness: 20.5 IBU Calories: 248 cal/pint
Est Color: 5.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 9.50 lb
Sparge Water: 3.52 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 11.88 qt of water at 167.3 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.60 qt of water at 197.9 F 168.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.5
Pressure/Weight: 14.9 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 45.0 F Age for: 14.0 days
Storage Temperature: 45.0 F

So far, I have the first 2 brewed, and I'm about to start batch 3 as we speak. Batch 1 just got racked to clear up. Batch 1 was a degree off in the mash, 153*f, batch 2 was on at 152*f. I'm wondering if that slight difference in temperature will make a noticeable impact.

So that's what I'm up against. My brewing prowess will be put to the test. Can I brew the same recipe three times with the consistiency expected from the pro's?

Time will tell my brothers and sisters, time will tell...

You are a brewer, your friends ar BMC drinkers. There is nothing to prove.

Your pig will taste great, Their pig will taste like water......anything after that is your beer, and they just won't "get it" any way ;)

You should definitely try to have something there you like as well (or something else you like anyway). Might just convert some people who have never tried the real stuff:mug: More craft beer drinkers supporting craft breweries is a good thing. We are the Mormons of the beer world:D

You should definitely try to have something there you like as well (or something else you like anyway). Might just convert some people who have never tried the real stuff:mug: More craft beer drinkers supporting craft breweries is a good thing. We are the Mormons of the beer world:D

Oh, I'm going to have a bunch of 2 liters in my personal cooler. I'm bringing the oatmeal stout, irish red, amber and ESB for personal cunsumption and sampling.

The experiment is more for my interest. The party is just the excuse to do it. I think it'll help me fine tune my process a little.

Are you trying to fill one 15 gallon keg? or just have 15 gallons available to drink? Variety is the spice of life - I'd give them 3 different tastes & see which one they go for.

How will you be serving this beer? Bottles? Kegged?

I probably would have used different strains of yeast to see the difference between them.

This is kegged in cornies. The other reason I'm going with this recipe is cost. It's my cheapest recipe. Since I'm donating the beer to the party, I'm using it as an excuse to test my process, hence repeating the same recipe.

Back