Consistantly getting low FG readings.WTF!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
My last three batches have all had a final gravity of 1.010. Two were done with the same culture of wlp001 and the third was done with 008.

All three had efficiencies between 65 and 80.

Could i have a mash temp problem?

Grain bills were as follows:

1)Mashed @ 154 60min
8.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 71.74 %
1.50 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 13.04 %
1.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
0.25 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [5.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Cascade [8.70 %] (60 min) Hops 20.1 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.70 %] (30 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.70 %] (15 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.70 %] (5 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
1 Pkgs East Coast Ale (White Labs #WLP008)

2) Mashed @ 152 for 60
10.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 84.00 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)

3)mashed @ 156 for 60
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 67.11 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.07 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.03 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.36 %
0.15 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)

Are you controlling fermentation temps?

Are you adjusting for temp with your sample?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

If you're mashing at 156, you're going to get a less fermentable beer. So I wouldn't worry about that one...same thing with 154 maybe.

that seems like an acceptable efficiency level for medium to big grain bills

Nah, these are all beers i have done several times with the same results.

they all taste fine but seem thin. All three have consitantly given me FG's in 1.013-1.016 range.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

If you're mashing at 156, you're going to get a less fermentable beer. So I wouldn't worry about that one...same thing with 154 maybe.

Thats the problem!!!
Those are the temps i mashed at, and i still got these low gravities!

001 just might not be the yeast you want to use. Try 002 or another lower attenuating strain and you might get the results you're after.

Any change in how you handled yeast prior to pitching? Different cell counts, starter made differently? I'm wondering if it's not so much your recipe or process, but extra apparent attenuation of the specific yeast you used...

I used to get higher-than-expected efficiency like you're talking about. It then went away. I think I started getting a faster runoff around the same time as my attenuation decreased. My current thinking is that when it used to take me forever to runoff my mash, the mash would cool down during the runoff and result in a more highly fermentable mash. So is it taking you longer to do runoff for these three beers?

That or make sure your thermometer is accurate.

You need to do mashouts. Also, put heat on your first runnings as soon as they're in the kettle.

I had consistent over-attenuation problems as well. All my beers were <1.010, regardless of yeast and mash temp. and duration. I started doing mashouts and heating up the first runnings and have completely fixed my problem.

I do mashouts on most brews. Maybe ive been a bit lax on temperature monitoring during the mashout and sparging. I Think thats where ill start.

Thanks Yall.

I don't see your OG's listed.

+1, I would have to see the OGs to see what kind of attenuation you are getting and if that is on par w/ the yeast. Go to white labs website and look up your yeast and see the range for attenuation

Attenuation on all three brews is 77-80%. Not typical. But in the high end of the range.

Again all of these brews have been done several times and i have never had FG's this low.

Its got to be a mash problem. Or a hydrometer problem....hmmmm.

80% is typical, especially if the yeast are happy. Between now and previous batches are you making larger starters, and/or controller the temps better? I found when I finally got a temp controller and was fermenting at 63, then increased to 67 when fermentation slowed down that my attenuation increased.

I would agree with watching your temps re: mash out. And for the mash temp, for that matter. Hopefully your thermometer is accurate.

An outside possibility, sounds silly but happened to me: Several months ago I started getting higher FG's for recipes I have traditionally mashed at 154 F. Couldn't figure out why, as my technique and equipment had not changed, minus my mash paddle. Turned out my new, giant SS paddle from Northern Brewer does a much better job of mixing the mash and equilibrating the temp than my old flimsy plastic paddle. One minute of stirring that little thing was not enough, and a reading of 154 F in one place apparently didn't mean the mash wasn't 149 F somewhere else -- meaning with my old paddle the mash was probably equilibrating throughout at a temp lower than my target, increasing fermentability. I have had to decrease the mash temp of my recipes by a few degrees F to get down to my target FG, since the whole mash is now actually at 154.

Back