considering piloncillo for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AL73

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im ready to bottled a Xmas ale with spices (2row, little bit aromatic, chocolate malt, crystal), so im out of dextrose right now, i have piloncillo and dark sugar,.. so, can i expect good flavor and of course good carbonation using it?
thanks for any advice,...
:mug:

The flavor contribution likely won't be much because of how much you use for bottling, but it will work. I've never used piloncillo, but I use turbinado sugar all the time for bottling. Here's a good calculator to find the right amount. I don't think they have piloncillo specifically, but you could use the amount listed for turbinado or brown sugar and likely be just fine: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Thanks lowtones84, i finally went to my HBS and got some dextrose, ill use the piloncillo on my belgian ales for those flavors.

cheers

Al

Fair enough. I pretty much only use turbinado anymore for all of my brewing sugar needs, but dextrose does work well for carbonating.

Back