Considering a Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sredz

Reaction score
I brew 10 gallon batches, and I’m considering adding a conical fermenter to my growing inventory of equipment. First a little background- I currently split my 10 gallon batches into two 6 gallon carboys for primary. I brew outside on a Blichmann burner. I like that I can easily drain right into the carboy, then I carry the carboy to my basement, which currently holds temps at about 64- 66 degrees (depending on outside temps). I have a tri-level home, which has been quite convenient for fermenting- the three levels offer 3 varying temps. My basement holds carboy temps at about 64-66, the lower lever holds temps at about 68 degrees., and the main floor currently holds at 72 (which is what I have the A/C at). Anywho, how easy is it to transport a conical fermenter? I need to be able to carry it from outside to my basement full of beer. With a carboy, this hasn’t been an issue, with say a 7 gallon SS conical, I worry that it may be more of on inconvenience when you consider any trade off advantages of a conical. Any thoughts?

My conical (17-18gal capacity) is hard to move when full, i'd never consider trying to pick it up. Aside from the weight it's quite a bit bulkier and top heavy. It is wheeled but i still like having help when pushing it around.

What's the distance from the kettle to basement? What if you ran a line/hose to drain into the basement? Just brain storming here : )

a Conical with 7 gal of wort should way 70+ lbs? I wouldn't carry that downstairs. We have 14.7 gal conicals and it definatley takes 2 to lift them into the fermentation cabinet. Is a length of hose an option? Brew in the basement? I love my conicals! they are so easy to use and have improved my beer, but you have to have the right space/environment for them. I am lucky to have a dedicated brew space(garage) one level, a big enough ferm-cab and a brew buddy to help lift.

Thanks for the insight! Running a line to my basement is an interesting concept and something I didn't think of. I'll have to consider that. I've also really been wanting to set up a chest freezer or refrigerator for better temp control of my fermentations, in which case, I could put this in the garage. All things considered, it would probably be most beneficial to invest in that first.

[...]I've also really been wanting to set up a chest freezer or refrigerator for better temp control of my fermentations, in which case, I could put this in the garage. All things considered, it would probably be most beneficial to invest in that first.

If you're really thinking a conical is in your future, best to get the dimensions for one before investing in a fridge or freezer. Pretty sure a conical would rule out chest freezers for fermentation, but an upright freezer or a very large fridge may work...

Cheers!

I brew ourtside in the summer and carry wort to my conical in sanitized pails. My conical stays put.

I got around this problem by running some tubing through a window to the basement. I can't fill my fermentor in it's final place. I still have to carry my bucket across the basement but it sure beats the threat of spilling a batch of beer down the carpetted basement steps. It also sounds like your budget can afford a pump which may present other opportunities. Have ve you taken a look at More Beer's temp controlled conicals?

I just bought a 20.7 cu ft upright freezer and took a bunch of measurements and should hold a 14 gallon blichmann or a 14.5 gallon more beer.

Thanks for the continued advice. The More Beer temp controlled conicals look pretty amazing, unfortunately, they’re out of my current budget. The upright freezer may be a good option and allow some flexibility. Clearly I’ll need to ponder this all some more.

Before I moved my brewery indoors I just ran my chilled wort to my old plastic fermenting buckets or plastic carboys then carried them to the basement and dumped them into the conical. The thought of moving my 15 gallon conical never crossed my mind and the pouring of the wort into the conical helps with aeration. I also thought about just pumping it in from outside but the cost for the length of tubing killed that for me. So I would do it any way but trying to move the filled conical.

We have a 20 gallon Stout conical. We locate it in it's final position in the basement and then transfer via hose from the patio. If it need to move it when full it slides easily on the carpet with an aluminum drip pan that I keep under it. (swimbo requirement)

Back