Consequences of 3 step mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So, long story short while brewing Yoopers Oktoberfest recipe from here
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/marzen-oktoberfest-37476/

It ended up being one of "those" brew days where nothing just seems to go right. For some reason i decided swap up too many variables at once, tried using BrewersFriend instead of Beersmith to calc my mash volumes and temps, decided to do a 90 minute boil, and the Oktoberfest lists a two step mash which isnt standard.

Long story short, i ended up mashing @ 144 for 30 minutes, 150 for 30 minutes, and 156 for 30 minutes...i seemed to hit my gravity fine but im curious if this extra step at 150 is going to turn it into a super dry beer?

It probably completely converted at 144 and yes, it will be a dry beer.
The 90 min boil will add some melanoidin flavors though, and will probably be a completely drinkable beer.

On Oktoberfest I do a three step mash:

131 for 15 minutes
144 for 15 minutes
158 for 20 minutes

Now the time it takes to get from 144 to 158 is another 20 minutes so I'm still getting Beta amylase until 152 or so. Complete the conversion quickly at 158. Then mash out.

I use a simple single decoction mash for most of my lagers. I mash-in at 152F. The mash is allowed to rest for 30 minutes before I decoct (transfer) the heaviest 40% to a stockpot. The decoction, which is mostly grain, is brought to 158F where it is allowed to rest until it tests negative for starch via a tincture of iodine test. This rest usually lasts about 15 minutes. I then take the docoction to 212F where it is allowed to boil for 15 minutes before being mixed back into the main mash. The main mash usually comes to rest at about 162F where it sits for 10 to 15 minutes before being recirculated and sparged. The total mash time is around 90 minutes.

Back