Conical trub dump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesteroid

Reaction score
How many days do you let primary go in your conical before dumping the trub? I am doing a belgium and need to add candy syrup and wanted to know did I dump first then add the syrup or maybe add syrup and wait another day.

It's been 48 hours now since I pitched the yeast.

Various opinions on this one, and it also depends on what went into the fermenter, besides wort!

I've filtered my wort thru a straining bag and I get a very clean wort so when I harvest yeast its really white. No need to dump trub.

I've not filtered, had lots of hops, failed to dump within 7 days and it was packed up pretty good. Another time, one of the first times with a conical, I didn't dump for 2 weeks. It was packed up tight! Not good really.

So, it all depends, but the main thing is if you do dump some trub, you don't take off too much too early, lest you potentially halt fermentation.

While this is late for your Q, but I've heard of guys who fill the fermenter, let it rest for 1/2 to 1 hr, dump trub, then pitch yeast. I like this approach, along with straining.

Finally, remember to remove your air lock first! Don't want the water or sanitizer you have in there sucked back in! Oh, and sanitize your valve outlets well before and after.

Back