Conical fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerlover87

Reaction score
Does anyone use a conical fermentor ? If so how do you like it ?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Does anyone use a conical fermentor ? If so how do you like it ?

Yes, I have a Blichmann 14 gallon Conical, and I love it. The fittings come apart for easy cleaning and are easy to put back together. There is plenty of headspace to brew 10 gallon batches, and it will last for quite a long time. I'm happy with my purchase!

Good to know I am just starting into home brewing and I ordered a 2 gallon conical seems that would be the way to go verses a bucket I am stoked to get it and start a brewing

I have a Stout 7 gallon stainless steel fermenter. It has its pro's and con's.

Pros: Easy to clean; can drain trub and yeast during fermentation; can save yeast for later use; easy to take samples for specific gravity measurements (don't forget to pull the airlock off before hand or you will suck into the fermenter whatever is in the airlock -- vodka, starsan...); easy to monitor the internal wort temperatures if you have a thermowell; looks cool; it can't shatter and require you to go to the ER for multiple stitches.

Cons: Can't watch the wort ferment (not a big deal after the first few batches); more expensive than a plastic or glass carboy or a bucket; no need for a siphon to empty the fermenter into my kegs; more difficult to control the temperature due to size.

My biggest beef with my conical is that I haven't figured out how to control the temperature during fermentation. I don't have a fermentation chamber yet and it won't fit in my CoolBrew bag like my carboys will. Eventually, I will break down and buy a used refrigerator that is big enough for the conical, but until then, I use carboys when its warm (with my CoolBrew bag and ice bottles) and the conical when its cold. It only took one ale fermented at 75 degrees in my conical to figure out how important temperature control is. Good luck.

If the temp in your home is cool during the summer I am not understanding why it would get to warm ? Now that being said I am new to all this and just trying to learn before I make mistakes

If the temp in your home is cool during the summer I am not understanding why it would get to warm ? Now that being said I am new to all this and just trying to learn before I make mistakes

Because many ales and lagers want to ferment below comfortable home temps :) lagers especially would have you shivering (and blowing big cash) if you kept your whole house at fermentation temps. I wonder if a wet towel on the conical would provide enough cooling to keep it out of the danger zone?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sounds like a legitimate thing to try wet towl and leave it by my window unit a/c I am sure were there is a will there is a way gonna have to do some research maybe ask the company I ordered it from for idea's they sell them so hopefully they have that knowledge :)

My kit says to keep out of direct sunlight and maintain a temp between 64 to 82 degrees

Actually the wet towel goes on the fermenter. The contact with the wet cloth lowers the surface area and keeps your wort cool. Easy! :)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I really appreciate the feed back guys hopefully my first brew turns out good I really want to give up "store brands" and have the joy of making my own :)

I brewed today and had my conical cleaned and ready to go and an ale pale. My wort went into the ale pale - I just find it easier to handle and clean and the beer is just as good. If you got $300 bucks (or more) you want to spend on brew gear, I think there are better things to buy. How about a chest freezer and a controller so you can lager and manage fermentation temps?

Ya I guess I could try to find something big enough yet not big to put my fermentor in and control the temp I only have a 2 gal. So its not real big

Latest posts

Back