Confusion over barrel-aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiller

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been reading discussions and articles about replicating barrel-aging, and they have just led to confusion. I am wanting to make a barrel-aged barleywine, and I plan on using a few oz of oak cubes that have been soaked in bourbon for about 2 weeks. Some things I have read say to just add the cubes and no additional bourbon while others have said to add the cubes plus up to a pint of bourbon. That seems like a lot to me, but maybe not. I don't want the bourbon to be in-your-face, but I definitely want it to be present with the malt balanced on top of it. I want to know what those of you with experience doing this kind of thing suggest. Also, should I rack out of the secondary before adding the cubes (I plan to age on them for multiple months before bottling), or will that deplete my yeast population too much? Thanks!

I'd just soak the chips then throw them into the secondary and transfer your barleywine on top of it. There will still be plenty of suspended yeast.

I just picked up a wiskey barrel to do a barley wine in. I'm gonna brew and primary for 3 weeks, transfer to the barrel for 3 months, bottle and age for 9+ months.

I have had several beers that I feel like were really heavy on bourbon. I think a pint sounds like a lot also, and would substantially affect the abv of a 5 gallon batch. I would just add the soaked chips, but that is just me...hope it turns out...wnc

Back