Confusion about Secondary while Carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmatics

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, happy holidays. I recently got a pin lock 2 keg setup from Keg Connections, great stuff and guys. Here is my question, I brewed the BM's blond centennial on Sunday. It seems like it is done now at 1.012. Sample looks nice and tastes great, but hopefully not less filling!

My question, can I chill this to about 38, put in keg, and set it to 12psi and forget it, and have great clear beer in 2 weeks? Do I need to modify the beer pickup tube to worry about the trub? Or will the 1st few pours just be the trub? Thanks. :mug:

John

Once you're 100% sure it's finished (two matching SG readings at least 3 days apart) then give it a few more days and you can transfer to the serving keg. Use the slow carbonation method (at serving pressure and temperature for 2 weeks) to carbonate.

Keep in mind, 'conditioning' at low temperatures seriously slows the process down. Which is why I would give it at least 2-3 weeks in primary before you move it to the serving keg.

Also, using the slow carbonation method will get it to settle out really well. You could get some sediment in the first pint, but you'll have to check to see. If you're good at the racking/transfer, you shouldn't get any extra trub in the keg. Plus, the two weeks at serving temperatures will help to compact it. I wouldn't even think about cutting my serving keg dip tube without a damned good reason (this is not one). Especially with what new ones cost these days (to replace it).

I agree. Cutting the dip tube is just a waste all the way around. Besides, once you kill a few kegs, you'll soon realize that the last few pints are always the best. If you cut the dip tube, you'll be dumping the cream of the crop down the drain.

Cool, thanks for your detailed responses. I meant to add, I generally leave my beer in the primary for 3 weeks, to clear and settle. I guess I am just pumped with the kegging setup and was trying to rush the process. Def. a stupid way to go on the righteous path to making great beer! The BM blond is a pretty low ABV beer at around 4% so I was wondering if while carb'ing in the keg, the beer will continue to clear?

Yes, it will continue to clear. Even hazy beers will end up nice and bright after 3-4 weeks in the frige.

Back