Confused plants!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

git_dr1

Reaction score
While harvesting the cones off of my columbus bines, I noticed that all of my columbus bines had both cones and male pods.

I didn't think to take pictures but is this very common for columbus first years?

The harvest was extraordinary for first years. Huge cones and alot of them. Can't wait to get a brew going with them as they smell wonderful!:rockin:

Real common. I'm just down the road outside Youngstown and this year I can finally tell that mine are actually female. A little bloom but not like the last two years. Probably a few weeks away from harvest so we'll see.

I just found a "male part" on my Newport yesterday. I removed it, but have no clue if that was the right call. Would seeded cones have resulted if I hadn't?

I get seeds from time to time but I do have a male in the corner of the garden. If the Newport happened to throw some some pollen, I doubt if ANY seeds that MAY form would be viable. From what I've read it shouldn't happen. Also, I do find 'sprouts' scattered throughout my garden in the Spring and just yank them out. Some that make their way into the garlic patch get a chance to grow until early to mid July. Once I get in to pull the garlic the little hops get pulled at that time. I wouldn't worry, that's what we make beer!

Is that you Gary? Yeah, the Columbus will throw seed pods. They aren't supposed to be fertile, and won't cause you any problems. Columbus are great to harvest. Very little work, and a lot of hops to show for the effort.

Monnie

that's a sign of stress, probably drought or temperature. your plants are going hermaphroditic. some varieties, like columbus, will do that at the drop of a hat. the thing that is sort of neat, is that if you leave them on there and they do make viable seed (the viable thing is the tricky part) all the seeds will be female. it's the same way they make 'feminized' seeds of a relative of hops and if people would start doing it for hops it would be awesome!

Is that you Gary? Yeah, the Columbus will throw seed pods. They aren't supposed to be fertile, and won't cause you any problems. Columbus are great to harvest. Very little work, and a lot of hops to show for the effort.

Monnie

Yes, its me! Excellent first years harvest. Can't imagine how they will do next year based on how well they did this year.

Thanks for everyones replies and for the rhizones Monnie.

My Zeus has did it last year, to my surprise my Centennial started to this year. Had, maybe two bines with dingleberries. Harvested it today and not worried about it. :)

Back