Confused on Washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdtexas

Reaction score
I am sure this is basic and I am missing something but it appears to me that Palmer's book and the Sticky conflict. When harvesting, Palmer says to swish around the yeast with boiled and cooled water and then leave the sediment and decant off the liquid to use. The sticky says to keep the sediment and get rid of the liquid.

I am brewing next week and want to take half of the sediment and wash it quickly and re-pitch that day. Help please -

1. Swish around the yeast with the water.
2. Let it settle for about 20 minutes.
3. Pour the liquid into a big jar.
4. Let the big jar sit for 20 minutes. Stuff will settle.
5. Use the liquid from the big jar (not the stuff that settled to the bottom) to fill up some smaller jars.
6. Put the little jars in the fridge. Yeast settles to the bottom after several hours.
7. When you go to pitch (probably into a starter), decant off MOST of the liquid. Leave just a little bit to break up the yeast so it can be poured.

The sticky says to keep the sediment and get rid of the liquid.

No, that's not what the sticky says. Instead, it says

Then, trying not to disturb the stuff at the bottom, fill up the larger jar that you boiled. If some of the stuff from the bottom gets in, it's not the end of the world.

Follow the sticky directions, to the letter, and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back