Confused on priming sugar amount and CO2 Vol.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holiday101

Reaction score
I have 2 gallons of a Saison about ready to bottle. Fermentation temps were high, probably around 76F. I'm getting some confusing number on how much corn sugar I should prime with. Let's say I'm shooting for 2.5-2.7 CO2 Vol. am I looking at 2oz of corn sugar or less like around 1.6oz?

Just want to hit an appreciable carb level without bottle bombs.

1.89 oz for 2.5 vol. BUT... only if you have 2 gallons of beer... AFTER loosing any trub/sediment. If you actually have a quart of sediment/trub and end up with 1.75 gallons in your bottling bucket then it only takes 1.65 oz., so using the 1.89 oz would give you 2.75 vol... which isn't too high for your saison. If you are re-using standard brown bottles you will be OK with this volume. Belgian bottles are much thicker and designed for much more pressure safely.

Ah, I get it. 2 gallons fermenting minus trub/sediment is less than 2 gallons of beer to be bottled and so less than 2oz priming sugar needed.

anywhere from 1.5oz - 2oz is ok keep in mind that Saisons are meant to be highly carbed beers which is why they come in the stronger bottles.

Back