Confused - few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-rad

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to make a couple of hard ciders tomorrow:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/raspberry-apple-cider-63471/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/

^ those 2

But, I've never home brewed anything before, so I'm a little confused with a few things after reading through many posts here. If anyone could help me out with the following questions, I would appreciate it:

1. First, I've only really had carbonated hard cider, other than just basic hot cider with alcohol in it during the winter. So I was planning on carbonating both, but I see a lot of posts talking about "bottle bombs". If I follow the steps in both of the above recipe posts, will I run into this problem?

2. Bottle wise - I didn't want to spend a lot on bottles, so I figured I would use wine bottles (have tons of recycled ones) and cork them. But, I read a post saying you can't do this if you want carbonated cider because the bottles will break I guess. Is this true? Is there a cheap way to bottle carbonated cider without having to buy a ton of beer bottles?

3. Is there a post that explains the use of the hydrometer in detail? I don't understand what to do to measure the beginning/ending gravities and to determine the alcohol content. Does temperature come into play in this step?

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response.

Can twist-cap beer bottles be recapped? I see conflicting opinions all over the net.

Thanks for the quick response.

Can twist-cap beer bottles be recapped? I see conflicting opinions all over the net.

I've always heard (and believed it) that twist-off style bottles cannot be recapped with non-twist-off crown caps. Regards, GF.

You can recap a twist off bottle with a crown cap. However, you need to use a bench capper not a hand held one and some of the bottles may break. There are people here that do recap them all the time.

One last question before I attempt this tomorrow:

How important are the temperatures listed in the recipes? I am planning on putting the carboys in my basement while the cider ferments, but I don't know how to get the temperature in the room to the exact temperature it says. Not to mention the recipes call for 2 different temperatures.

Also, is all liquid (juice, concentrate, water, whatever) supposed to be at room temperature before being added?

Any tips/info. relating to temperatures for cider making would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Too high a temp and you develop off flavors. Too low a temp and the yeast goes dormant and stops working. You can use heat belts to bring the temps up or a wet towel and a fan to bring the temps down. On both of these recipes I would say you need to keep the temps within 68-75 degrees. you might try starting with one and then do the other. This way you don't have to worry about two temps.

Yes the liquid should be at room temp to start. Make sure your yeast is not too warm if you rehydrate it so you don't shock the yeast.

I really suggest you make EdWort's Apfelwein first so you get a feel for how this works. then you can do the second one. No need to rush any of this. take your time and do it right. I suggest you read a lot of this forum there are great tips for you to learn.

I ended up going with the Raspberry Apple Cider for my first try, just because I am not sure if I'll like the dryness of Ed's recipe - but I will try it out in a smaller batch soon.

One problem though - I added the 1/2 lb. of lactose with everything else by accident, when it was supposed to be added at bottling time.

Did this screw everything up and should I just empty it out and start again, or will it be fine? What are the implications?

Thanks.

I ended up going with the Raspberry Apple Cider for my first try, just because I am not sure if I'll like the dryness of Ed's recipe - but I will try it out in a smaller batch soon.

One problem though - I added the 1/2 lb. of lactose with everything else by accident, when it was supposed to be added at bottling time.

Did this screw everything up and should I just empty it out and start again, or will it be fine? What are the implications?

Thanks.

Lactose isn't fermentable, so it'll taste sweeter now, and have a higher SG than expected. Otherwise, there is not any difference between adding it now or adding it later.

Good - at least I didn't screw it up too bad then.

Thanks for the help!

Normal looking for the first day? Looks weird with just a thin ring of foam, but maybe it is normal?

my.php
[/URL] [/IMG]

Normal looking for the first day? Looks weird with just a thin ring of foam, but maybe it is normal?

my.php
[/URL] [/IMG]

I assume it's normal. I have buckets mostly for primary, so I don't see it but often when I stir, I notice stuff like that on the top.

For crying out loud, quit worrying! The yeast have been doing this for centuries, and they'll do it this time, too.

This is my first time brewing anything, so it is new to me.

For cider, are you supposed to stir the yeast around when you add it in? I just put it in and let it float around.

This is my first time brewing anything, so it is new to me.

For cider, are you supposed to stir the yeast around when you add it in? I just put it in and let it float around.

Putting in and letting it rehydrate on its own is fine. Now, put a blanket over the carboy to protect it from light and walk away for three full days!

Putting in and letting it rehydrate on its own is fine. Now, put a blanket over the carboy to protect it from light and walk away for three full days!

Hi. I thought that Apfelwein didn't have to be protected from light because it doesn't have hops (therefore nothing to skunk it). Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

I think yooper was telling one of those little white lies like you tell to young children to trick them into doing something good. Sure the beer doesnt have hops thatll skunk, but a blanket will stop the OP from worrying and fussing every day.

I think yooper was telling one of those little white lies like you tell to young children to trick them into doing something good. Sure the beer doesnt have hops thatll skunk, but a blanket will stop the OP from worrying and fussing every day.

Well, tell you what- put one carboy in the light, and one in the dark, and then tell me which one is light struck? There aren't hops to skunk, but just like white wines, cider can get light struck. You will be able to tell from the flavor and the color.

Still, it's your cider, do what you want!

I keep mine (ciders, wines, meads, and beers) in a cool dark place with a blanket around any clear carboys. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't worry and fuss every day- I have WAY too many carboys to even think about. (I don't know exactly how many at the moment- maybe 10 or 15 if I were to count). You do what you want with yours!

Back