Confused about Steeping Speciality Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richwyso

Reaction score
So I just need some clarification as i am a little confused. I know rule of thumb is about 1.25 quarts of water per lbs for grains. I have two so it's 2.50 quarts of water. My questions is after you steep that is it ok to add room temperature purified gallons of water (doing a 5 gal extract) to that and then being the boil? Or do I need to warm that up to the same temp and put the wort into that water? I have read a lot on this but cannot find out that answer. What is everyone else's method to this. Thanks a bunch! Making my APA tom.

Sorry one more question. Should i use two muslin bags for the 2 lbs? Thanks!

If the bag is large enough to not be tight, one is enough. As far as the amounts, the 1.25qts/lb is more for mashing, but it isn't bad practice to get you into a mashing mindset. (In a steep, you aren't doing a whole lot more than extended rinsing.)

Once you steep and remove the grains, feel free to add as much water as you would like. Keep in mind, more water in the boil will produce better beer, but it is more prone to boil over, harder to get to boil (depending on your system), and it takes longer to cool. Trade offs are a part of life...

I always steeped my grains in 2.5 gallons starting when the water started getting hot and going for 20 minutes or 170 degrees. The time and temperature usually coincided. Then I did the boil and used top up water after cooling. I also put all the grains in one bag. (supplied with the kit) Northern Brewer has instructions for their kits posted online. There is a tab for information under the kit info. You could use one for reference.

The 1.25qts is more important when doing a mash, not so critical with steeping.

Do you have a 5gal kettle? Fill it with three gallons, heat to 155 and steep for 30 min at 155-160 degrees. Boom done! Then heat to a boil, turn off heat and remove kettle, then add LME or DME.

THanks so basically everyone is saying just stick with getting 3 gallons of water up to 150-160 degrees and steep since what i am talking about is mashing then? John Palmer's book says about a gallon to every lbs so i didn't know if i was suppose to get basically 2 gallons warmed up to the temp to steep. THen if the recipe calls for a 3.5 gallon boil do i have to warm the remaining water up to the temp that i steeped the grains at or can i just add room temperature water and proceed to boil?

When you add the water, don't worry about it's temp. You may save yourself some time if you preheat it in another pot, but it probably isn't critical.

At the same time, you will probably be fine with the whole volume of water in the pot at once. Don't worry about measuring 2 gal, then steeping and adding another gallon. Just steep in 3 gal.

I have steeped using as much as 4 gal of water before.

A trick I learned here on this site is to pre-heat your oven to 155F and steep the grains in the oven for 30 - 45 minutes. It helps maintain a constant temp.

Back