Configuring my corona mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
Hi,

Would be nice if someone could assist configuring my corona mill. I tried to adjust it a little and crushed a bit of 2 row for testing.

Does the crush look too fine, or is that ok?

DSC_2177.geaendert.jpg

DSC_2181.geaendert.jpg

Thanks for the advise!

I would crush more. It is tough to tell from a picture, do you still have any whole kernels of grain after close inspection? If yes crush more.

I would crush more. It is tough to tell from a picture, do you still have any whole kernels of grain after close inspection? If yes crush more.

There was no whole grain in the crush. Could I crush too fine? (I will use a mash tun with copper manifold and do batch sparging.)

There was no whole grain in the crush. Could I crush too fine? (I will use a mash tun with copper manifold and do batch sparging.)

Yes you can crush too fine for the copper manifold. You will be depending on the intact husks and grain particle size to form your filter so the wort will drain without getting too much grain in the collected wort.

Is your grain crushed too coarse or too fine? Hard to tell. Best way to find out is to brew a batch with it. If it lauters good but the efficiency is poor, your crush is too coarse. If you can't get the wort to drain the crush is too fine.

If you make a batch and it drains good but with poor efficiency, tighten the mill and try a longer mash (maybe 90 minutes) as that will help your efficiency. Keep tightening the mill until you have trouble with draining the tun (stuck sparge). Then back it off just a wee bit.

Once you have found the sweet spot where your efficiency is good and the tun drains reasonably well you can shorten the mash period back to 60 minutes or if you are a bit gutsy, maybe as short as 30 minutes. Be careful to not jump to the 30 minute mash until you are pretty sure you have all the other issues controlled and then be prepared to verify conversion so you don't end up with a beer that has a starch haze from poor conversion.

I agree with everything that was previously posted but to answer your question: no, it doesn't look too fine. I use a corona mill and batch dosage too. Mcrush looks similar and I hit 72% brewhouse efficiency on the regular.

Again, the only way to know for sure is to brew.

Back