Confessions of a S-05 junkie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aboule13

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about a year and a half. I do all grain and have a great variety of recipes I like. I also lean pretty heavily on the S-05.

That being said, I work in a lab, I have access to tons of lab equipment, and I really want to start toying around with yeast this summer. Before I do so, I'd like to try out some new liquid yeast strains.

I am looking for some of your absolute can't miss favorite strains for:

IPA
Pale Ale
American Wheat
Stout

And any other ideas. I've brewed with white labs heffe yeast (300?) and liked that. What I am really in search of with this thread is a good jump off point for the basic ales.

I prefer to brew my beers big- but not TOO big. (6ish ABV)s

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I am going to make my order sometime this week. Also, any comments on comparing yeast brands is greatly appreciated too. (For example I feel like I've had mixed results with Wyeast... White labs has treated me much better.) I wonder if others have had similar experiences??

IPA, PA, Stout - I go with S-05 or sometimes Denny's Favorite. I've used some English strains or the WLP-530 yeast but with those I find myself fermenting them to be as neutral as possible which somewhat defeats the purpose. I really liked the results of 530 with my Little Sumpin Wild clone, but I was able to keep the clove flavors out of the beer which thrilled me.

Basically I like my yeast to ferment and provide zero flavor, boring maybe.

I really dont know how to describe what I'm looking for, but the -05 seems more "crisp" and what I'm looking for would be considered "smooth"

I'm a big fan of the White Labs and Wyeast Scottish Ale Yeasts. WLP028 and 1728 respectively. Both are great, clean flavored yeasts (I think they're pretty much the same) that can be used as a house yeast for a ton of beer styles, not just Scotch Ales. They definitely come across more smooth and less crisp than US-05.

maybe an english ale strain? I'm using wyeast1968 for the first time, chose it based on a poll I saw on here about various users favorite english yeast. Anyways, they don't tend to be as attenuative as the US05 strain, so it'll leave more body and maltiness. Not sure if that's what you mean by smooth, but to me those might be the words I choose to describe the difference between an APA and an english pale ale.

Yes, these are great suggestions... Bruin I think you are right about me looking for an English style...

I am really trying to mix it up, so maybe in my next order I'll try a Scotch Ale and an English Ale...

As for the IPA, crisp is fine here... I think I just am looking for something a little different.... I actually think I was drinking a Harpoon Laviathin when it hit me that I need to start trying new yeasts. That beer is strong and hoppy yet it leaves almost a sweet finish. I looked into that yeast and all they reveal is that it's a "proprietary" house yeast. Trade secret, I'd say.

samc said:
Basically I like my yeast to ferment and provide zero flavor, boring maybe.

Same here. I tend to ferment at 62 for the first few days. To me, hops and malt taste Way Better than yeast. I am gonna let some 1275 ferment at 66* for an ESB in the near future.

There are cases when yeast is a big factor in the style. Hefeweizens and Belgians come to mind. But to get back to good 'ol S-05, I started brewing with the Wyeast Activators for 1056, 1272 for my IPAs, pale ales, etc. Then I used S-05 for a couple, and I've really decided I can't tell much difference. Right now, I'm becoming an S-05 junkie myself....

1272 has been my house yeast for years (PA, IPA, Porters), but I am going to branch out and probably try wlp007 in the next couple of weeks to see what it will do to my IPA recipe. 1272 provides a bit of that British fruitiness while still staying pretty S-05 neutral, and it works every time while also being a nice top-cropping yeast.

I use us-05 for anything that does not feature yeast products as part of the flavor profile.

The price is the main selling point, with no starter required being a close second.

I've become a fan of Wyeast over WL. And particularly I like the Northwest Ale yeast. I started just deciding to try different ones just to see what they did and the batch I did with the Northwest was phenomenal. That said, I have only used it once. However, the batch was all Two Row + two different hops. It took two first place wins in competitions, so I feel the yeast played a part.

Again, I appreciate the thoughts here...

Rest assured I will be following through with many of these suggestions and I am very excited about it.

aboudle, I would call Bells General Store in kalamazoo and ask to speak to Dave. Tell him what you're looking for and he will point you in a good direction.

I brewed my last batch (Red Headed Step Child Amber Ale) with S-05 and this is by far one of my best beers. I drank every sample I could get my hands on while I was bottling it. I was also surprised at the FG being 1.008 with 20 days fermentation. So far I'm impressed with this yeast. Will use it again.

beerloaf

I've become a fan of Wyeast over WL. And particularly I like the Northwest Ale yeast. I started just deciding to try different ones just to see what they did and the batch I did with the Northwest was phenomenal. That said, I have only used it once. However, the batch was all Two Row + two different hops. It took two first place wins in competitions, so I feel the yeast played a part.

I am definitely partial to liquid yeast and Wyeast in particular. I have brewed countless IPA's and normally use 1056 or 1272 or PacMan. I have used 1372/Northwest Ale and have had fantastic results but frankly I forget about it when it comes time to choose a yeast to brew with. Thanks for reminding me what a nice yeast this is...

I've been an S-05 junkie lately also. Its just nice not to have to make a starter...and the price is nice, too!

I liked Wyeast1968 with my brown ale. I bought Wyeast 1728 Scottish recently, as I plan to do a scotch ale. I also plan on getting Wyeast 3522 Ardennes Belgian yeast and probably a saison yeast down the line. It really does depend if you're brewing something that needs a yeast character, such as an English, Belgian etc. But I understand you wanting a smoother finish over the crispness you get from S-05.

Also, you could consider harvesting yeast from a commercial brew that you like, if they bottle condition.

Personally I really love S-04 in APA and IPA’s. However it is not as clean or crisp as S-05. It will leave some residual sweetness and some mild esters. I have found it makes a great flavor profile when used with a lot of Amarillo hops.

WLP007, Pacman, WLP001. I don't need much more unless brewing a belgian, kolsch or hefe....

WLP007 is quickly becoming my #1. Regardless of how big the beer is, its finished and done in 3-6 days if you pitch properly.

I am definitely partial to liquid yeast and Wyeast in particular. I have brewed countless IPA's and normally use 1056 or 1272 or PacMan. I have used 1372/Northwest Ale and have had fantastic results but frankly I forget about it when it comes time to choose a yeast to brew with. Thanks for reminding me what a nice yeast this is...

No problem, I think one of my next batches will use the Ringwood, Thames, or Whitbread. It's all about experimentation to me.

Back