Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One would think though that hot water would loosen up the sugars and make them more easily rinsable, no? Sure makes a difference when it's time to scrub off wort from stuff.

Well, I will admit this only works with batch style sparging (including BIAB). But the sugars are already dissolved in hot/warm water. Sure it would allow it to mix in a little easier, but I really doubt it will affect extraction much.

Well, I will admit this only works with batch style sparging (including BIAB). But the sugars are already dissolved in hot/warm water. Sure it would allow it to mix in a little easier, but I really doubt it will affect extraction much.

Interesting notion. I fly Sparge and I'm tempted to try it. I use my HLT to hold water/ice for chilling so not heating it at any point n the process would save me some ice dollars.

Back on topic - my last IPA is so god damned overly bitter I've been mixing in 25% of flat Mild to each pour. The combo is not the best but I have to protect these last few tastebuds I have left.

I have had only one hydrometer in my brewing career, got it on my 4th batch in, so... since the end of May or so. It's never tried to commit suicide.

Yet.

:D

I have been brewing for more than five years and still have my original hydrometer. I feel like I have failed as a homebrewer because I haven't broken one yet. I have on the other hand broken 4 thermometers.

I have been brewing for more than five years and still have my original hydrometer. I feel like I have failed as a homebrewer because I haven't broken one yet. I have on the other hand broken 4 thermometers.

Don't sweat it. I had my original for 18yrs. Broke the sucker last month. I almost cried.

I have never used distilled water to calibrate my refractometer, just unfiltered tap water. This probably means that all my measurements are off by zillions of points. I'm going to hell, aren't I.

I constantly forget to use clearing agents in my beers. I had to start leaving the bag of irish moss out all the time to remind myself. Now if only I could remember to put isinglass in the keg...

I constantly forget to use clearing agents in my beers. I had to start leaving the bag of irish moss out all the time to remind myself. Now if only I could remember to put isinglass in the keg...

I have never used clarifiers. Ever. No gelatin, no isenglass, no irish moss, no fish fins, bladders or any other part of a fish. No clay, etc. Its still beer. Plus I find if I get a good boil going at first, then cool the wort as quickly as possible (solid hot and cold breaks), then let it sit in primary 2-3 weeks, then set and forget keg carb for another week or two before pouring, out comes amazingly clear beer.

I don't actually brew beer. Or drink it. I mix mud from the side of the highway with toilet water, swirl it around in my mouth, spit it out, vomit, and then pass out.

I have never used clarifiers. Ever. No gelatin, no isenglass, no irish moss, no fish fins, bladders or any other part of a fish. No clay, etc. Its still beer. Plus I find if I get a good boil going at first, then cool the wort as quickly as possible (solid hot and cold breaks), then let it sit in primary 2-3 weeks, then set and forget keg carb for another week or two before pouring, out comes amazingly clear beer.

My last batch I vorlaufed, used irish moss, quick chill as possible, 3 week primary, gelatin, 1 week at -2C (~28F) <below freezing point of water!>, and it still came out cloudy as all hell. Unimpressed over here. Perhaps I should try the less is more approach. Or be more patient.

Haven't cleaned my pint glass in about 2 weeks. Just rinse it with water and set it next to the sink and rinse again before I pour.

My last batch I vorlaufed, used irish moss, quick chill as possible, 3 week primary, gelatin, 1 week at -2C (~28F) <below freezing point of water!>, and it still came out cloudy as all hell. Unimpressed over here. Perhaps I should try the less is more approach. Or be more patient.

Close your eyes and it tastes pretty good.

I've made 3 batches in my recently acquired 27l brewferm pot with an integrated heating element.
2 times I've forgotten to turn the power off when I started to cool the wort with an immersion chiller.
I didn't even realise the power still was on for about 5 minutes since my chiller is so oversized it cools the wort down to about 40c before really slowing down :D

Same here, cleats in about 30 days if left alone and cold.

Try reordering your processes:
-brew
-primary, secondary, ready to package
-cold crash to 32f for 24 hours
-add and gently stir gelatin mixture
-cold crash for another 3 days
-package

I am pretty sure your beer will be clear enough to read the paper through.

confession : I forgot to clean out a keg (about 1/4 full) after a fridge died but remembered about the beer soon after I decided to start kegging again....18 mos later.
I debated with myself if I should taste the beer that was in there as it was sealed and decided YES as I was getting ready to dump it.
I poured a glass, noticed it to be a bit hazy with "stuff" floating around and took a swig. I didn't swallow and quickly spit it out, totally expecting the worst. Right after I dumped the beer and came the to the realization that it wasn't that bad at all

One of the last batches I brewed & bottled, I was also drinking a few beers while bottling, one being a homebrew (no label). I had all my clean equipment on one side of the kitchen, and the glass of beer & empty bottle on the other. After I finished bottling, I was putting full bottles, and empty ones that didn't get used, back in their carriers. Puzzlingly, I had an extra bottle somehow!

:confused:

I start looking around, and notice my empty HB bottle that I poured from was no longer beside the glass I poured it into. Somehow, I picked the thing up and filled it with new beer. To this day, I have no idea if anything went wrong with that bottle, as I split my batches up with my brew-bro that pays for most everything, so it is possible he got it. I will say, at least I rinsed the bottle after pouring (habit!) so there wasn't a layer of trub/yeast in there already, but it certainly wasn't sanitized.

I have yet to tell my buddy about that one.

:D

I just drank old star san. I was drinking a glass of water. Went out to my ferm chamber to check brew, decided it was time for a cold crash. Drank the rest of my glass of water and dumped all but a little bit of the star san from my blow off into empty water glass, adjusted the temp. Messed around with a few things in the garage. Went to go back inside, grabbed glass and took a big old drink not thinking. Didn't taste too bad. Washed it down with a lot of tap water, and now we wait.

I kind of like undercarbed beer. In particular any low bodied low alcohol beer...just enough CO2 to cause bubbles. F$%^ the guidelines. My regulator is between 6 and 8 PSI most of the time.

I kind of like undercarbed beer. In particular any low bodied low alcohol beer...just enough CO2 to cause bubbles. F$%^ the guidelines. My regulator is between 6 and 8 PSI most of the time.

And this, in my opinion is what homebrewing is all about. Making what YOU like.

Just thought of another one...do not remember the last time I disassembled a ball valve for cleaning on either my old three tier or my current single keggle manual eBIAB. I do back flush the valve(s) and when cleaning but my theory has always been that it is either pre-boil or heated to a sanitizing temps if it is the boil kettle.

No infected batches in the last 18 years so must work.

Confession- today was my first day ever going commando in my adult life. The damn laundry fairy never came...

Beer related- I have a batch of beer still sitting in tertiary for over a month and a DIPA that's still waiting to be dry hopped 4 weeks into fermentation. I've gotten a bit unmotivated to do much lately... :/

Confession: I did not get the whole Anna Kendrick is hot thing until I saw this

Start at he 3 minute mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I was heating up strike water today, and I walked away from the kettle. I found almost too late that a spider had made it home in my hot liquor tank sight glass. I decided to dump the water and start over, but after I got the little bastard out, I DID think about saying "Screw it" and continuing, and making some kind of "Arachnophobi-Ale". Lol

I was heating up strike water today, and I walked away from the kettle. I found almost too late that a spider had made it home in my hot liquor tank sight glass. I decided to dump the water and start over, but after I got the little bastard out, I DID think about saying "Screw it" and continuing, and making some kind of "Arachnophobi-Ale". Lol
I would have left it...and what is a site glass for? You have a mash paddle, right?

I mean...you ARE going to boil it, right?

Don't check SG or FG anymore.
Use only tap water from the well.
Do full 5 gal boils in a 6.5 gal kettle
Nope, never made a starter
My sparkling cider will probably be gone
before it has a chance to sparkle
Steal honey from the bees to make Mead.

Don't check SG or FG anymore.
Use only tap water from the well.
Do full 5 gal boils in a 6.5 gal kettle
Nope, never made a starter
My sparkling cider will probably be gone
before it has a chance to sparkle
Steal honey from the bees to make Mead.

I wish I could use straight up well water. You are at an advantage with that one.

Back