Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so much brewing related but my confession is I hope I win the NCAA bracket challenge AND the HBT giveaway control panel...I'm just that greedy

I think using more than 5 syllables (via adjectives) to describe a brew makes anyone sound like a butt muncher.

When I'm not drinking my homebrew, and I'm drinking beer, it's an Old Milwaukee Light.

A special place in homebrew hell..lol

If this guy has a special place in homebrew hell, then I'm the Devil himself.

0320051211.jpg

I'll confess....I've never used star san. I clean everything with b-brite and then rinse. Only had 1 infection since I started years ago and I'm 100% sure it was the cacao nibs. Maybe some day I'll use it but every time i get to the LHBS I see the price and just grab some more b-brite.

I'll confess....I've never used star san. I clean everything with b-brite and then rinse. Only had 1 infection since I started years ago and I'm 100% sure it was the cacao nibs. Maybe some day I'll use it but every time i get to the LHBS I see the price and just grab some more b-brite.

I have done all the sanitation for about 60 gallons of beer with about $3 worth of star san...just sayin'. It is reusable.

Yes this is true, you are Lucifer...or at least his little brother...lol.

If your taste is for the lighter commercial beers, what do you brew to get close to the style/taste?

Nothing.

My taste is for all beers... I can pick up a 30 pack of Busch Light for $16.99, there's no way I'd put in the time and effort to brew that.

I mainly brew American Pale ales that are really IPAs... ~6-7% ABV, 60ish IBU range.

Nothing.

My taste is for all beers... I can pick up a 30 pack of Busch Light for $16.99, there's no way I'd put in the time and effort to brew that.

I mainly brew American Pale ales that are really IPAs... ~6-7% ABV, 60ish IBU range.

That's cool. To get as close as possible to a BL type beer I brew Biermuncher's C Blonde and leave out the Vienna malt. After a month of cold storage it strikes me as really close to a light commercial lager...BMC friends really like it too. Maybe give it a shot one day...at the least it is very inexpensive to make.

That's cool. To get as close as possible to a BL type beer I brew Biermuncher's C Blonde and leave out the Vienna malt. After a month of cold storage it strikes me as really close to a light commercial lager...BMC friends really like it too. Maybe give it a shot one day...at the least it is very inexpensive to make.

Yeah... I did the Centennial Blonde, and it was pretty close to BMC without cold storage.

Probably won't make it again though, just one of those styles that is much easier to buy.

I drink Busch Light because I drink 5-6 a night and it doesn't wreck my budget.

And it's delicious.

Given I'm not nearly as seasoned as a lot of guys on here, but I finally have enough brews to say I have learned a little. Blow off tube is one of those things. I woke up to a cream ale fermenting wildly- I was really excited and happy about it. An hour later and it was just gaining steam- then blew the cap and spewed everywhere. I rushed to the LHBS and made a blow off tube. Got it on there and that thing just kept spewing fo out of the tube. That beer came out delicious but I think I lost a full gallon to that happy time explosion.

Where to begin?

I've never used starsan... I used to use clorox, but kept staining stuff. Just went to Oxy-clean free. I didn't use to rinse, either, but am starting to (wonder how many off flavors the white powdery residue has contributed or what health problems I've created by drinking it???). Started doing a quick rinse when I added TSP to the Oxy-clean when I made the generic PBW substitute found here on HBT.

I've never cleaned/changed my beer lines (see also #1)

I often don’t want 5 gallons of something I have a taste for when I’m ordering supplies. Sure, I like Belgian beer, just not a constant steady diet of it until the keg's gone. I need to brew more so I have more choices. I have a 3 tap kegerator, but usually only one on tap.

I sometimes drink Miller Lite when I’m low on HB, whatever’s popular at the bar if they don't have GOOD craft-beer (hell, I even had a PBR before a Cubs game at the bar across the street from the stadium because that's ALL they had), wine, or nothing.

I have too much glassware… not enough beer. Guess I need to brew more.

Was married to the wrong woman for 20 years… one who didn’t support my habit/hobby. Though I brew outside, making a starter in the kitchen was rebuked with taunts of, “What’s that cat puke smell???” Remarried and am very thankful for her support! :)

Not enough uses for all my spent grain… I use spent grain flour for bread and pizza crusts, grain used for dog biscuits… and still I dump a ton in the yard :-(

I've never entered a competition (in 31 years brewing) :-(

Oh, and on those lines, I **JUST (as of January, 2015)** started all-grain brewing. I should have started sooner - there isn't any voodoo magic involved, it doesn't require significantly more time (like I thought), and not a ton more equipment required. This is my greatest lament/confession. Newbies - just do it :).

This is all anonymous, right? ;-)

I've never used a blowoff tube. I oxygenate with pure O2, pitch adequate starters, and ferment at the lower end of the optimal temp range. Never found a need for one.

That is not much of a confession, just something that a lot of people never find needed. I did once because of low head space and another time for reasons unknown to me. Same recipe and procedure every time and only once did the lid blow. Also, with the exception of temp range, and over pitching (which is seldom done) would those things effect your need for a blow off tube?

Now if you had a lock pop off and just let the krausen pour out until you could get the air lock back on, that would be something to confess.

I don't make starters unless I am at least 0.01 over the packages OG specifications.

I pretty much never used anything but Easy Clean for cleaning and sanitation. Its cheap and sanitation of equipment has never been an issue for me despite me having read in many places that this is for cleaning and not sanitizing.

I never used to measure water used. Filled my mash tun, and stopped fly sparging when my kettle had the expected amount of water in it. I since became meticulous about the whole brew day.

I've never used a product to sanitize bottles.
I've never used an airlock. Makeshift all the way.

No infections... aside from some wild grapes.

PS. I run one specific stop sign regularly.

I never use sanitizer. I never wash my bottles when I'm done with them, or before I fill them, for that matter.

I don't monitor mash temps. Sometimes I don't even bother with a mash. I just throw a few cups of flour into the boil.

I don't ever take a gravity reading. I can tell by tasting the wort whether I hit my target OG and FG.

I don't prime my bottles. I just give them a real good shake before pouring.

Despite all this I almost never get botulism, and all the neighborhood cats tell me my beer is the best they have ever tasted.

I have a crack in the lid of my brew bucket, and I keep using it. It hasn't made it past the rubber seal, so I think I'm good, but there's some discoloration inside the crack that makes me think it's filled with things that want to ruin my beer. The handful I've batches have been fine, and the lid is easier to take off this way. Still, I'll get a new lid... next time.

PS - Yes, I just said my crack is stained.

I brewed last night and forgot to pitch the yeast until I got home from work this afternoon. I am not worried.

I did the same thing. Let starter wort start chilling in a sink water bath, then head off to work and forget it there. Pitch it when I got back.

I did the same thing. Let starter wort start chilling in a sink water bath, then head off to work and forget it there. Pitch it when I got back.

Worst part is it was a 10 Gallon batch, and my dinky little 20 foot IC managed to get it down to 90ish reasonably quickly. I threw it into the ferm chamber to hopefully cool more quickly and remembered at work. I will be fine. Or not. I really need to decide on a new chiller. 20 feet is nowhere near enough.

I wanted a beer after working for 14 hours but knew I didn't have any homebrew in the fridge. I stopped at a gas station with a very limited selection. The only non BMC they had was Redhook IPA.

...I opted for MGD.

Sometimes you want to enjoy beer, and sometimes you want to get a buzz from water.

Back