Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMel85

Reaction score
Is it necessary to condition? If so, are there different methods for different brews? My first batch was an Oktoberfest that I didn't really condition- put bottles in fridge for 2 days, it came out pretty good. I wanna go for a dry stout next n have been reading a lot about month long conditioning processes. Input?

Do you think we do stuff like that because we're just lazy, or don't know what we're doing.....or maybe because it makes our beer better?

If you've been reading, then you already know the answer......

Take some of your beer out of the fridge, leave it alone for a couple of more weeks, and come back and tell us if your oktoberfest doesn't taste 100 times better than it does now.

Then you'll know all about conditioning.

;)

Revvy said:
Do you think we do stuff like that because we're just lazy, or don't know what we're doing.....or maybe because it makes our beer better?

If you've been reading, then you already know the answer......

Take some of your beer out of the fridge, leave it alone for a couple of more weeks, and come back and tell us if your oktoberfest doesn't taste 100 times better than it does now.

Then you'll know all about conditioning.

;)

Hey, I'm just asking because I don't know. Sometimes things r purely preference. I've only made one batch so far so I need all the info I can get. Conditioning = better beer- got it. Lol thx
But how about conditioning times/methods for different brews?

twelvelookslikex said:
I think you should condition any beer. It would be pretty flat. I new maybe you meant after carbing

Yes I did mean after carbing

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

More info on bottle conditioning can can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

The other part of the process, letting the yeast clean up after itself after fermentation and not rushing it to bottles can be found here- To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

For a good start try reading John Palmers how to brew online-free,it answers many questions you may have as a new brewer,there may be a few things outdated but will give you what you are looking for.Allow your bottles at least 3 wks to carbonate after that really is conditioning well maybe after a week it may carb then condtion but really you never know what yeast are doing on their own time, ive had carbonation in 3 days and sometimes not until 3 wks. very well.Some peoples beers and some types of beers may not carb for 3 months like barleywines or strong ales. Im going on two months for my barleywine carbing and know it will get better with another month or two.Ive seen carbonation progress pretty delicatley.
Conditioning is a differnt phase that with time your beer evolves and changes, i keep mine around a while and it seems they never taste the same from a few weeks to another. Its also recommeded to chill them down a few weeks,but i never seem to be able to keep them in the fridge that long.

Thanks for the info revvy!

No problem. It may all seem confusing, but like I said earlier the easiest way to understand it is to just experience it for yourself. We have a saying in homebrewing-"Your best beer of the batch is usually the last one."

And that's because it's had the most conditioning time.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back